Notifications
Clear all

Why is it called Bm(maj7)

22 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@argus)
Reputable Member

One thing you can do over minor chords when they're played for a long time is move the root down by semitones to make it look like something's happening.

It happens in Elvis Costello's "Veronica", with the Dm - Dm/maj7 - Dm7 - G part. The D in the Dm chord moves down by semitones until it leads to the B in the G chord.

I've never heard the song you're talking about, but I bet something similar's happening.

ReplyQuote
(@garytalley)
Trusted Member

Same thing happens in "Michelle". Same thing happens in "This Masquerade". Same thing happens in some versions of "Summertime".

www.guitarforsongwriters.com

creator of #1 video"Guitar Playing for Songwriters"

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

And "Sunny" and "Drão" and...

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yes, that's clearly what's happening.  It's just the naming I found interesting.  (Btw, I looked closer and I think twice there's a sharped note in the melody -- missed that first time off).

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You know, I realized over the weekend I've played the C#m(maj7) forever in McCartney's "All My Loving" but never thought twice about it because the chord symbol used the symbol C#m▵7. Never thought about what the triangle meant.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You'll see the triangle a lot in jazz charts - it just means major 7th. Sometimes I've seen the 7 'crossed' to indicate the same thing.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Still getting the bugs out of the new board I guess... I'm logged in, but it posted me as 'guest' above... (NoteBoat here)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2