Clear all

Writing melodies

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hey, im having trouble writing melodies any tips???? im always dazzled by songs with simple chord progressions with catchy melodies like say....anytime by buddy holly, father and son by cat stevens and alot of early beatles stuff. I can come up with chords when writing but not the melody... one more thing is being able to sing a good tool for writing melodies since i cant sing, i think it would be very valuable.....thanks to any 1 willing to help me  ;D

(@forrest)
Trusted Member

Hi,
 Not sure hoe much theory you know but try this.
1. Create a chord sequence.
2. Place two notes from the chord in each bar.
3. Finish on the tonic in the last bar.
4. Play it and sing it.
5. Add passing/non chord notes in between the chord notes.
6. Play it and sing it.
7. If this inspires further changes, make them.
8. Try to be quite random in your selection and not think about it too much. It doesn't take long and you can always make changes later. However, keep it simple to start with.
9. It's a bit like picking notes out of a hat. It often works for me when I'm not feeling inspired as long as I work within safe parameters.
Hope this helps,
                 Richard.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

one of my cheat ways, is when i play around in power tab, i get a few staves and i just GUESS notes, i look at the layout of the music notation and generally see the vague pitch and just type in any numbers for the notes that are in that key...

loads of good idea's come from that, when they are developped and stuff added. very easy way to get a basic outline of a pattern you like.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I think that experience singing is probably a very useful tool for writing melodies.  It can give you a feel for phrasing that you may not get from just a guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

OK Now probably no-one will agree with this but i noticed that when a great melody is written ... it looks beautiful ... it's like the notes form a nice pattern...

dunno maybe i'm crazy or something
lol

peace
manti

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Think of each note as a word.  Use the same note as many times in a row as you need to.  One, ten, a hundred times, as long as it's the note that feels good there.  Practice improvising and and start recording or writing down riffs you like.  Many times the best ideas can arise out of a little alone time jamming.  Just start in the middle of the neck somewhere, anywhere.  Hit a note a few times until you know what note to go to next.  Make it a song, a slow one if you can't think of the next note, a fast one if they come quick.  Most of all, put some feeling into each note.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

OK Now probably no-one will agree with this but i noticed that when a great melody is written ... it looks beautiful ... it's like the notes form a nice pattern...

Nature inspires melody - look at the score for The Swan from Carnival Of The Animals (Saint Seans) - and compare the shape of the melody line to the big white bird.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Try sentences, random ones, and singing them until you get something you like.

forrest:
when I'm not feeling inspired

alex_:
good ideas come from that

paul:
It can give you a feel that you may not get from just a guitar

amante:
no-one will agree with this

alan:
compare the shape of the melody line to the big white bird

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

You know what?

I'm playing around with cut-out newspaper headlines and trying to see if I can come up with anything that remotely resembles a verse, and then Helgi comes along with a work of art like this and puts us all to shame.

Ain't no justice no more.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Glad you liked it.

It kinda flows, dunnit?

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote