Clear all

Writing Music Question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to put something into guitar pro, and I think I have it right....but it doesn't follow instructions when playing back, so I figured I'd check to see if I have it right.

At the start of the song I have a Repeat and a Segno symbol. I want it to play until the repeat (1st ending), then play the 2nd ending, BUT I have that ending repeating, and after it repeats I want it to go back to the Segno, so I've input D.S. al Coda, wanting it to play the Segno to the Da Coda then go to the Coda.

What happens, is it doesn't repeat the 2nd ending, it just goes to the Segno symbol

Here is a copy of the guitar pro file: http://www.box.net/shared/1oq8mznlov

Here is a copy of the PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/nbmidykp5j

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

First a couple few comments on the notation in general

1. If the segno is at the very beginning, it's clearer to treat it as D.C. (da capo) - that tells you to go to the beginning, rather than looking for a segno sign.

2. The notation "da coda" is rarely used. Most notation would simply have a pair of coda symbols, one to mark the point where you'll leave the D.C. repeat to go to the coda, and the other to mark the beginning of the coda section.

3. Your "da coda" mark is INSIDE the first ending. Unless otherwise noted, when you have a D.C. or D.S. mark, you're already played all the endings... so it's traditional to take only the last endings after following the D.C. or D.S. instruction. Since your last ending is the second one, and your 'da coda' is in the first one, it wouldn't be played - and that's probably why the software isn't doing what you want..

Here's how I'd solve it and make it all clearer: make a third ending, and dump the coda idea.

Your third ending will need to start with the first six measures of the first ending (going up to your 'da capo' mark), followed by the measures in the coda you've written.

That way you'll play through with the first ending, through with the second ending (with a repeat), back to the beginning - since that's what you do anyway after the second ending you won't need the D.C. mark - and at the third ending you'll have the first six measures of the first ending, as you've intended, followed by what's currently your coda.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info!!

I've made those changes, and now guitar pro just stops after the 2nd ending has repeated, it doesn't go back to the beginning, I think Ive found another limitation of guitar pro. I think I've confused it LOL.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote