Acoustic Blues in Standard Tuning

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jim_v)
Topic starter  

I've been trying to play the recent article with the above title:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=460

I figured out the intro and can play it without any trouble. I'm puzzled by the verse and the fills. Specifically when the tab shows that you should play:

------10--10--10--12--10
------/9--/9---/9---9---/9
----------------------------
--0------------------0-----

I understand how to play the beginning. I play the open low E string with my thumb and then slide into a rapid triplet strum of the 4 high strings, strumming with my thumb. My question is how do I play the next "chord"? Do I mute the A string and strum all six strings or is this some variation of Travis style picking? Maybe I should pluck the open E and strum the high strings with my fingers?

I'm just as confused by the next fill, particulary near the end when you play the open E string and the G and B strings at second fret (the Asus2 chord). Do you mute 3 strings and play the other three, "pluck" all three strings at the same time or something else?

I guess my confusion lies in the fact that this mixes fingerpicking and strumming. I strum with my thumb, so it's hard to strum the three high strings while I pluck the open E with my thumb. I hope that makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Taylor 420R Ltd
Guild D50CE
Martin OM-1
Fender Stratocaster Plus
Gibson Les Paul Studio

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You mean the last half of this measure, right?

I'd probably just barre the second fret for the top three strings, strum, release and strum the strings open. Then for the last section I'd use hybrid picking -- using the pick for the bass strings and the fingers for the treble strings. I think those are the passages you're asking about, aren't they?

Hope that helps.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@jim_v)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response. I didn't ask my question very well in hindsight.

My question really relates to how do you play the open E at the same time you're strumming the three high strings. In portions of the tab, the open E comes before the strum and at other points it's at the same time. I'm mildly proficient at Travis picking, but I can't pluck the open E and strum the high string simultaneously, if that's what you're supposed to do. In my first example, I suppose I could mute the A string when it says to play the open E at the same time you plan the 9th fret of the D, G & B strings and the 10th fret of the high E string. Another option I guess is to brush the tops of my fingernails across the high strings as I pluck the open E. That's sort of what I've been doing at the end of the intro.

If muting is how you do it, then the example you posted is even trickier because you have to mute 3 strings. I'm not that capable and probably never will be.

I'm not sure I clarified my question but I sure appreciate you trying to help me.

Taylor 420R Ltd
Guild D50CE
Martin OM-1
Fender Stratocaster Plus
Gibson Les Paul Studio

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

For the beginning of the measure, I'd just pick the E string and then strum the top three, and when you get to the other one, frankly, I'd just skip the E. Hope that made sense.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@jim_v)
Topic starter  

Thanks again. That's what I've been doing (skipping the low E). I like a walking bass line and it seems that this kind of song is conducive to Carter style picking. I'm simply not coordinated enough to pick a bass line with my thumb at the same time I'm strumming. I can alternate thumb and finger picking (standard fingerstyle and Travis style) but both of those styles alternate between the thumb and fingers most of the time. And when they use thumb and fingers simultaneously, they tend to be plucking with both at the same time (pinching) as opposed to plucking with the thumb and strumming with the fingers. Practice, practice, practice.

In any event, it would be easier to learn if it had some mp3 files. Then perhaps I could figure out what he's doing.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Taylor 420R Ltd
Guild D50CE
Martin OM-1
Fender Stratocaster Plus
Gibson Les Paul Studio

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I don't do a lot of fingerpicking so cheating comes naturally to me! :lol:

I'm not sure if that particular author has done any mp3s for us. Good luck with it. As long as it sounds bluesy, you're fine, I'd say!

Tim

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@boogiechillun85)

I figured since I wrote the article, I'd probably be the best one to try to tell you how to do it.. ;) You should have emailed me, it makes me feel appreciated...
This piece is meant to be played fingerstyle. I guess hybrid picking would work, but since it's really just Delta Blues it's intended to be done fingerstyle. For the first E7 fill, as well as the second one, I just kind of strum it with my index finger. I know people who will pluck each individual string with their index, middle, and ring fingers.. but this always seemed a bit awkward to me. So what I do, I think is referred to as "frailing" or something like that.. But the idea is to use the index finger for that and keep the bass note going with your thumb. To hear it, go to my soundclick page:
http://www.soundclick.com/jimarkuszewski
Click on the music section and find "Can't Lose What You Ain't Never Had." It's got all the riffs, a few more, singing.. a whole mess of stuff going on that will probably aggravate you because I didn't tab a great deal of it.. lol..
Hope this helps, if you've got any more questions feel free to email me..

Jim Arkuszewski

ReplyQuote
(@boogiechillun85)

I'd also like to apologize for not responding to this sooner. I just discovered the message boards tonight, and though you've probably long forgotten about my little article, I was just overjoyed to see any sort of discussion going on about it. I kind of figured it was long ago relegated to the back corners of GuitarNoise readers' minds.. Thanks..

Jim Arkuszewski

ReplyQuote