Clear all

Chords/ Horse with No Name

67 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
43.6 K Views
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Hi! I figured that we might as well wipe the slate clean and start at the beginning. Here you can ask questions, make comments and discuss problems, successes, experiences concerning anything covered in our two lessons:  

Absolute Beginners Part 1: Chords
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/absolute-beginner-part-1/

Easy Songs For Beginners #1: Horse With No Name
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/horse-with-no-name/

I'll begin the conversation by letting you all know that sometime in the next couple of days we'll be putting up MP3s for Horse and I'm also going to have corrected notation files to make the strumming patterns easier to read (not to mention correct the typos!).

So feel free to post up questions or just your general feelings towards these two lessons in particular.

Peace

PS - I'm also reminded of this fact (which I've conveniently cut and pasted from another thread  ;) )

As for "filling in the bottom", there is also a Bass lesson that goes with this:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=160

written by our own resident bottom dweller, Dan Lasley!

Peace

Addendum:

The MP3s are indeed up and I've also taken the liberty of removing the last example in the "Filling in the Bottom" section in that I do think it's a little too advanced at this point. I will probably add it to this lesson's companion piece Adding A Few Personal Touches, which, by the way, is not our next stop.

Hope the sound files help everyone else. Thanks to Paul for being so kind to get them online so quickly.

Peace

P0RR
(@p0rr)
Estimable Member

A problem I have with this song as well as all others is, as I'm strumming I sing the song to myself and I can't seem to break the habit of giving each word it's own stroke. Because of this, each measure could be 3, 4, 5 beats depending on the lyrics. It's impossible for me to get a rhythm going.

I think I play this

Em              F#m13
On the first part of the jour----ney
     Em                   F#m13
I was look-ing at all the life

I'm not sure how to correct this. If I play a 12 bar blues, no song, just changing chords it seems to sound more rhythmic. Any suggestions?

BTW: the mp3's really help. Maybe once I listen to them, it'll be easier for me to figure it out.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Hi PORR

One thing I think is worth bringing up - easily 95% (really closer to 99%, but who's counting) or more of the songs that you will ever play are either in 4/4 time (four beats per measure) or 3/4 time (three beats per measure). The timing of a measure is not, usually, dependent upon the lyrics.

Since so much of what we call "TAB" are really better referred to "cheat sheets," which are just lyrics with chords posted over them, this is an important thing to grasp.

And it's an almost impossible concept to describe with just words!   ;)

For Horse With No Name, the chords change every four beats regardless of what's going on with the lyrics. And, as you'll hear in the MP3s, it's not all that hard to get a hold of once you certain of what you're doing.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Get the rhythm down pat first. Get it to the point where your mind is wandering and you are still playing. That's the time to  looking idly at the words on paper, with no attempt to sing them, just scan them as your playing the rhythm - pretty soon you'll be mumbling the words as you're playing. From there to singing is a matter of turning the mental volume knob.

This comes to you courtesy of a man who could sing the first 50 notes of any song and get maybe 5 correct. To get get one of those 5 in the right place would require 100 monkeys........  ;D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 P0RR
(@p0rr)
Estimable Member

Hi Greybeard,

that's my problem - I can't get the rhythm down. It's not that I'm looking at the words on paper & that's messing me up, because I'm not. I just happen to know the words to the song so I can't get beyond the words in my head to be able to get a rhythm going. Trust me, I'm not looking to sing. There's only so much I can subject my family to & me howling like a wounded coyote is not one of them.

ReplyQuote
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

Bless you people!!!!   I felt so left behind trying to work on this song and everyone else on other songs.  

I can do the four down strum thing and sing.  I can do the down strum on 1 2 and 4, but not while singing.  I can do the complicated strum pattern VERY VERY slowly (let's not even talk about singing here).  I haven't really even begun to work on the fills and variations.

The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

I like to work through the earlier lessons too, some of the later theory was making my head ache, so don't feel bad - Markyesme (haven't figured out how to put quotes in yet)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Bless you people!!!!   I felt so left behind trying to work on this song and everyone else on other songs.  

I can do the four down strum thing and sing.  I can do the down strum on 1 2 and 4, but not while singing.  I can do the complicated strum pattern VERY VERY slowly (let's not even talk about singing here).  I haven't really even begun to work on the fills and variations.

Working it through very very slowly is good.  (I don't sing so I don't worry about that part either ;) ). But it's better to work it through slowly and gradually work up to tempo on any song. Really.  You're developing a good habit.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@bill_scanlon)

Hey PORR,

"There's only so much I can subject my family to & me howling like a wounded coyote is not one of them"  That is so darn funny.  

I started playing on 1 April 1999 and I have learned patients and have fun is the key.  

It isn't easy to learn to play the guitar if it was there would be a guitar in every home.  

Try to relax and have fun with it.  Practice, practice, practice.  What might be impossable to do today will be a little easier tomorrow and easier the next day and the next.  When you feel your body getting tense stop take some deep breaths shake you hands and start again.  This should be fun not like work.  I play at the of the day and when I go to bed all the stress of the day is gone.  Make it fun and relaxing.

I had to find a place to pratice where I didn't drive my wife crazy.  I spent a lot of time sitting on the front porch or at the other end of the house.  When someone would make a comment about my playing I would say "aren't you gald I didn't take up the fiddle".  8)

Hang it there you'll get it...

"..a beach and a bottomless drink may not cure the world's problems, but it can really get your head in the right place"...Kenny Chesney

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

There are a few articles on this site about singing and playing at the same time.  Maybe one of these will help:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=46

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=138

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=282

Olive

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Thanks David for the MP3s, they are great and a big help.  With the counting of the strums, if there's strums on the off beats as in this song I find it easier to feel the rhythm instinctively, as soon as I try to tap my foot with it I lose the timing.

Thanks Olive for those links, I'm going to read them; my problem with the singing besides the getting the timing right is that the voice sounds OK at low volume but any louder and it goes off key.

Bill - my nine year old son is very keen on taking up the fiddle,  I'm looking forward to it so I've got someone to play along with me (then it won't matter if I don't sound so good lol)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Thanks David for the MP3s, they are great and a big help.  With the counting of the strums, if there's strums on the off beats as in this song I find it easier to feel the rhythm instinctively, as soon as I try to tap my foot with it I lose the timing.

Thanks Olive for those links, I'm going to read them; my problem with the singing besides the getting the timing right is that the voice sounds OK at low volume but any louder and it goes off key.

Bill - my nine year old son is very keen on taking up the fiddle,  I'm looking forward to it so I've got someone to play along with me (then it won't matter if I don't sound so good lol)

That's how Carlos Santana got started -- he went from mariachi fiddle to guitar.  Good role model!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@bill_scanlon)

I have some friends that play and once a month we get together and try to play.  Most of us are beginners, but we have a couple people that aren't.  Anyway my friend Keith plays the mandolin I did the rythm on Horse with no name and Keith played the voiceing.  We jammed this song for about 15 minutes and had a great time.  

My point is to all this is as a beginner don't be afraid to try to play with others.  Living so close to Nashville there are a lot of very good musicans when I frist started play I would sit and wait for the chords I knew to come around and give my best shot.  I have found that the good musicans are very helpful and the one that would get mad at me becuase I was a beginner I just didn't play with anymore and when I get really good I'm still not going to play with them.  Find someone that just want to have fun.

Hey astokes you two are going to have the best time.  I really like that sound of a fiddle I just knew if I tried to learn it I would have every tomcat in the county at my door thinking I was in heat.

David I fly home this afternoon and can't wait to start working on Hurt.  When I seen that lesson this morning I thought excellent choice.

Keep on picking....
Later ya'll

"..a beach and a bottomless drink may not cure the world's problems, but it can really get your head in the right place"...Kenny Chesney

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Hi Bill

The strumming on Hurt is probably the easiest strumming on any lesson here at Guitar Noise. I hope you have a good time with it.

And I'll echo your sentiments about playing with others. It is probably the easiest and most fun way to learn anything.

Now we'd better get back to discussing Horse before the moderator gets mad at me!   ;)

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

It sounds like I am pretty lucky.  Not only do I sing okay (at least I don't sound like some sick or wounded animal, and can generally stay in key --- well, after eventually finding my way into key), but my family is really supportive.

My father-in-law and mother-in-law live with me, and they and my wife love to hear me play (even when I obviously sound like ****) and really enjoy singing along and keeping beat.

I hope everyone finds their supporting cast.

The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5