Notifications
Clear all

eleanor rigby

26 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
18.1 K Views
(@computermonkey)

Wow, great lesson! I need to listen to some more Beatles. I wasn't even familiar with the song before I got started.

I just wanted to confirm something about the "Optional Riff 1". In the tabbed example it says to skip beat 3, but in the mp3 David is playing it right? Just want to make sure that I'm not hearing things.

Thanks,
Matt

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I just wanted to confirm something about the "Optional Riff 1". In the tabbed example it says to skip beat 3, but in the mp3 David is playing it right? Just want to make sure that I'm not hearing things.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt

I made the suggestion of skipping the third beat simply because most beginners are going to want to get their fingers set and there's more than enough things to worry about as it is! :wink: But when I play things slowly I sometimes fill in spaces I normally wouldn't when playing full speed. My fault there and apologies. Thanks for catching that.

As always, once you have the basic outline down, you can dress up your arrangement anyway you'd like!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

David,

Just wanted to add another Thank You for Eleanor Rigby! My young son, who isn't much for chords, is learning the melody line from another book, and since it is in the same key as your arrangement, I'm hoping we can eventually put them together. :)

BTW, love your song about making snow on SSG! Being from Wisconsin, I understood the setting immediately, unlike a few of our friends who live in warmer climes. :D I really enjoy the global nature of GN.

Thanks again for everything you do for us! 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@littlemoz)

Hi

Firstly, thanks to all the people involved with guitarnoise for making it such a great site for us absolute beginners. Not only has the site helped me in giving me ideas on songs to try in some kind of order, its also exposed me to songs I wouldn't of heard of elsewhere.

In the chorus with arpeggos section of the Eleanor Rigby lesson the note values are
1/8, 1/8, 1/8, 1/4, 1/8, 1/8 which with my limited knowledge of music theory doesn't add up to a full bar in 4/4 time.

From litening to the mp3, it sounds like it should be 1/8, 1/8, 1/8, 1/4, 1/8, 1/4 or have I missed something?

Thanks

John

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

John,

The quarter notes should be dotted quarters. I can't buy a mistake-free lesson these days! :wink: Sorry about that. And thanks for pointing it out!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have found the opening strumming (which contains muting) a lot similar to 'For those about to rock' by AC/DC.Am i right here ?

ReplyQuote
(@ickes_disciple)

I posted this in another forum before I realised this was here.

Hi,

I'm a new member 34 who's owned a guitar for 4 months.

I've got a questions about one of David's fantastic lessons.

In the final MP3 file http://www.guitarnoise.us/onstage/audio/551/ELEANOR9.mp3 David adds a nice base note during the percusive verse strumming.

I was wondering if any eperienced players would be able to give me a hint as to how he achives it. Is it hitting the E string on the upstroke? I assume that it is but my limited ability is preventing me from confirming my suspicions.

Any help greatfully received.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

OK I got my first real request! and it was for Eleanor Rigby ... also wanted to add some thanks first off - thanks again for the lessons! cuz now I think :roll: I know what I'm doing when I try to turn some chords into a recognizable song :roll:

... so anyway I added a couple of things to ER in the following rendition:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5LMX9isH4CQ

... firstly which is using my pinky to alternately hold down high G (fr 3 of high e string) while I'm playing the 1st chord - Em - of each verse. This has been a handy technique (no pun intended) and you can experiment with this whenever you have a stretch of simple 2 or 3 finger chord that needs a ' little something something'. Stick your spare finger out on a different note every other beat or such.

The other change was an alternate descending bass line on the top four strings (not playing the B string tho) and the picking pattern is a-p-i-a ( I will do ANYTHING to avoid writing down tab, sorry) something like the featured descending line but starting at high B (fr 7 of high e string) and holding down G on the D string (fr 5) and then descending like this from 7/5
to 5/3 to 3/3 to 2/2 (playing the open G each time).
Fr 2 of the D string is E and then you play the regular descending bass line starting at fr 5 of the A string which is D, so hopefully that works for you too ....

Anyway, it was a great lesson and it did totally encourage me to open up my big Beatles songbook and learn a couple of other easy songs (the Beatles can be intimidating musically lol) ... soon as I can play them anywhere near tempo I will let you know :wink:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Nicely done!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

I agree. Well done.

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

:oops: :oops: Thank you so much for the great review - :oops: I do confess that once a song is posted, I never really look at it again ... too embarrassed I guess :roll:
BTW I did have a chance to play in front of a more-or-less captive audience last week and :shock: I was ready. So the video exercise does seem to work 8) Many thanks again for sitting thru any of the more painful moments, especially on earlier attempts lol

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2