6 Users
0 Likes
13.6 K Views
 dre
(@dre)
Topic starter  

heye there everybody
al little question from the netherlands
who can help me with this song fields of gold in fingerstyle with this fingersystem p thumb
i index
m middle
a ring
i want to pick this song and i have trouble withit
who can help me thanks dre

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I may be a bit too late for a reply but I have been playing this song all week. I found with this song I mostly use the thumb for the 3 lower strings, index on the 3rd string, middle on the 2nd and ring on the 1st EXCEPT!! on the part "upon the fields of barley" and "as we walk the fields of gold" there are some double stops and a 2 string hammer on ect.. I pinch with my thumb and middle.
I must say, my hats off to David on this lesson. I am very imspired by this song, I just can't seem to stop playing it.
I am working on adding vocals now (something rare for me when playing fingerstyle but worth it for this song)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Update:
I have gotten the first 3 verses down with intro and pipe part between verses 1 and 2.
I had a great deal of trouble with the last 3 words of each verse "fields of gold" It just didn't seem to fit.
The cadence of the verse is fairly steady except at the very end.
If you listen to the Sting recording you can hear him speed up the last few words of each verse (to me even when he sings it doesn't sound quite right) so I altered the last bar and sing those last 3 words in the same cadence as the rest and for me that works out better.
What I did was I hold the 3rd string open 5th string 2nd fret double stop a tad longer and instead of playing the open 4th string then 6th string 3rd fret I play them together as another double stop. Fits perfectly.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hey missileman, if you're still around, those seem like good ideas. I'm having trouble with the same spots you mention (I don't sing, but the cadence does seem off.) I'll give your suggestions a try.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I spoke to David and it appears there is a beat left out of the tab. It also occurs in the last line of the verse.

I had the same problem and when I listened to David's MP3 I heard the missing note. The tab should read something like this:
4/4
Gtr I
|---------------------|-----------------|-------------------|--------|
|-0h1-----1-0---------|-------0-------0-|-0h1---1-0---------|--------|
|-----0-------0-0h2---|-0---------0h2---|-----0-----0-0h2---|-0------|
|-0h2-----2-0-------0-|---2-----2-----0-|-0h2---2-0-------0-|---0----|
|-------3-------0h3---|-2---------0h3---|-------------0h3---|-2------|
|---------------------|-----0-----------|-------------------|-----3--

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Nick, thanks very much for the follow up!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member

was this change fixed on the website?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Not yet, soon

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Would you drop us a note when that gets fixed? At first I thought the correction you posted here might be an image, and a "save image as" would have been a slick way to get it. I did try to copy-and-paste the text into the .DOC I have for the lesson, but it came out pretty "warped" when I pasted it. A .GIF would probably be the "quick and dirty" way to make corrections to what we already have on our computers.
Thanks, Nick.

--
Doug C.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It is straight text. If you copy and paste it into a doc and use courier font to maintain the spacing you should be fine.

I can post it in Guitar Pro format if you like.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

It is straight text. If you copy and paste it into a doc and use courier font to maintain the spacing you should be fine.
I can post it in Guitar Pro format if you like.No, that's fine. (I never thought to try changing the font. )
Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member

Hey Nick, just so i get this right, it is the last two measures of the bridge that you changed right? cuz the verse has the hammer from 00 to 12 at the second to last measure while you have it as the 4th measure from the end

thx!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Right.

However in the Verse the second to last measure needs the extra 1--2 in it.

ReplyQuote
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member

thanks again Nick

just to make sure the one i'm playing here is the way David's version is suppose to be, i'm going to copydown the tabs that I am playing

the last four measures of the bridge goes

|---------------------|-----------------|-------------------|---------|
|-0h1-----1-0---------|-------0-------0-|-0h1---1-0---------|----------|
|-----0-------0-0h2---|-0---------0h2---|-----0-----0-0h2---|-0------|
|-0h2-----2-0-------0-|---2-----2-----0-|-0h2---2-0-------0-|---0----|
|-------3-------0h3---|-2---------0h3---|-------------0h3---|-2------|
|---------------------|-----0-----------|-------------------|-----3--

so in essence, the 1 2 is added before the 0 0 and the two 3's are taken out in the second to last measure and the 2nd 3 is taken away from the 1st measure. At least that's the difference between the one on the website...

and for the last two measures of the verse

|--------|
|-0h1---1-0---------|--------0|
|-----0-----0-0h2---|-0--------0
|-0h2---2-0-------0-|---0----|
|-------------0h3---|-2------|
|-------------------|-----3--

are the above correct? and lastly, i'm playing the song bridge,pipe, verse, pipe verse2 verse3 pipe, verse4, bridge, verse, pipe, verse5,6 and pipe. Should the entire bridge be played as the intro? if not, at what measure should I stop and go on to the pipe, and finally, when I play the "pipe" to end the song, it doesn't sound quiet right, do I slow down on the last two measures or something

sorry that this is so long, i just really want to play this song perfectly!

thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member

hey, so is the above question resolved on the lesson page?
or can someone tell me if i'm right?

thx!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2