Clear all

Happy Christmas

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone name some other songs with a great descant part? I'm sure they're all over the place and I could probably find some, but I'm extremely lazy. :?

(@davidhodge)

Simon and Garfunkle's original version of Scarborough Fair has the song Canticle done as a descant.

The chorus of Harry Chapin's Mr. Tanner has a lovely rendition of the last part of O Holy Night in it (sung by his cello player).

And though it's probably not quite what you're thinking about, these songs have interesting descant parts in their choruses:

Fall On Me - R.E.M.

Something's Always Wrong - Toad the Wet Sprocket

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

David - another fine job! 8)

I started playing with this song. The theory and use of the descant melody in the guitar playing is very interesting.
I'm having trouble strumming the eighth notes without hitting the high E string. I guess I need to practice but I find it easier to miss the E string on the downstrokes. It doesn't sound bad including the high E but I'd like to play it to the tab.
Has anyone else tried this song?

Another difficulty is hitting the fourth fret of the B string on an Em chord.

I'll keep trying... :wink:

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

In case anyone hasn't noticed yet, we got three MP3s for this lesson up on the site now (as of Sunday, December 12, 2004). Cheers and "Happy Christmas" to you all!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Hi, thanks for the mp3s! and Happy Christmas to all too!
I just started playing this song yesterday, it sounds very nice - thanks for all the other Christmas songs too, :) :)

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

I know Christmas is over, but what happened to the mp3's? I don't see them. (I figure I need a head start if I'm to be proficient on these songs by next Christmas).

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@zeppelin)

Hi,

I know it´s a bit early for Christmas songs but I really need to ask this question. In the Em chord progression part of Happy Christmas I have my index and middle finger playing Em but my pinky can´t seem to reach over to the 2nd string on the 4th fret. Is there some other way of doing this or are my fingers abnormally too short!!!!???

Thanks,
Ruth

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You mean this bit, right?

You can make that reach. If you're having trouble, try this trick. Don't hook your thumb over the neck. Drop your thumb down so that it's positioned against the middle of the back of the neck. That will allow you to reach farther on the fretboard.

See if that helps.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@zeppelin)

Yes I did mean that part.
Ok thanks, I´ll give it try :)
Ruth.

ReplyQuote