Amazing Grace

25 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
25.2 K Views
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'd like to see the tab for the whole song in straight play chord melody. Is that possible?

Never mind I found two good ones by Steve Kaufman on the web.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

(@laoch)
Estimable Member

David - thank you for another great lesson. I tried clicking on the links in the lesson to a couple of your previous articles (re: Celtic music & alternate tunings) but they came back with "page not found". I'm sure they're on the GN site somewhere but I haven't had a chance to search for them.

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

There are quite a number of chord melody versions of Amazing Grace on the Internet, and Steve's are definitely good ones. That's one of the reasons I thought it might be a good idea to give our lesson at Guitar Noise a bit of a twist and turn it into a lesson on technique, in this case the hammer-on in particular.

Ed, here are links to the articles in question:

A Celtic Air can be found here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=63

And On The Tuning Awry can be found here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=17

Hope this helps.

By the bye, good to hear from you again. I hope things are going well with you and maybe we'll get you up here snowboarding this winter! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I thought the lesson was great also and I sure can use some work on my hammer ons. But I also wanted something I could use to practice my flatpicking. Good job David!

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

David - thanks for the links. I wanted to point it out so that Paul (or whomever) could correct the links. The GN Search function found the articles right away also.
Yes, hopefully I'll get up there one of these days!

I played around with Amazing Grace a bit last night. The hammer-ons gave me little trouble but my pull-offs need quite a bit of work.
Cheers,

Ed

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@rexlander)

This was a great lesson, it looked difficult at first with all the hammer-ons and pull-offs, especially in such quick succession. It took a while but with enough repetition it is coming along well.

David: I would be interested in seeing a step-by-step method of how one would take a standard piece of music (chords only) and develop an instrumental arrangement out of it that is unique, but a listener would still recognize the piece. I know you do this to an extent in the lessons, however I think one in depth lesson on this would be awesome.

Rex

Keep your stick on the ice!

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Hi, and just saying thanks for the lesson David, I also thought it was great to concentrate on the hammer ons and pull offs, and the song sounds lovely/wonderful.

thanks also for those cheery and informative Newsletters!

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Thanks David for this great song. Got enough twists in it to make me feel I can actually play, with my limitted experience. You give such good instructions, great site. :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Beautiful rendition.
I love playing it and it really impresses my friends.
I do have a question though.
At the end of the song you have it tabbed to play an F bass note when going from the G chord to the D chord.
I am wondering why?
Seems funny with all the hammers, pulls, double stops and moving up and down the neck that I get hung up on one single note.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Jim

That's one of my typical typos! :wink:

If you read the notation, you'll see that it should be a G, just like at the start of the measure, and it should read in the TAB as being on the fifth fret. Sorry about that!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thanks David.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm sorry, but where abouts is this Amazing Grace rendition?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Nothing to be sorry about - there's so much stuff here at Guitar Noise I'm amazed anyone knows half of what's available.

The lesson on Amazing Grace is on our Song Arrangements Page. You'll find the lesson itself here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=469

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Found it myself in the end, but thanks. Is there any way to view the articles in chronological order?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Chronologically, you can only visit one author at a time. So if you want a chronological list of all my articles, for example, you can find it here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/authors.php?id=3

That is not to say that the lessons were written with a chronology in mind in the first place. When I first started writing for Guitar Noise, almost six years ago now, I was simply writing about things people asked about and not creating a "lesson plan," as it were.

But if you know what kind of things you're looking to study, chances are someone here can direct you to articles that may be of help. And if you're not certain what you should be studying, there are many people here who'd be happy to make recommendations.

Peace

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2