Horse With No Name

49 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
49 K Views
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've heard several references now to muting in the Horse With no Name lesson. I went back through it and can find no mention of it. Anybody else know where it's at?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If you listen to the 2nd or 3rd mp3 you will hear David talking about it. I remember it because he phrases it a "if you strum up you must go back down" so touch the strings on the way down (or words to that effect).

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nils!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks Nils!
My pleasure. I am amazed I remembered that :idea:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

I made a video to help a friend with this lesson and a post on the APM forum so I thought I would at least share it over here too so it would help more than one person. Just trying to be more efficient with my time. SlowFingers referenced this lesson and needed some video help. I cannot honor all requests. Just trying to help a fellow player. SEE POST BELOW.

=======================================
CUT & PASTE

Hi SF,

Just wanted to post this where you can watch it and not have it clog up your email box. Plus it may help others. Hope this helps you through the strumming issues. This is a real important technique you are stuck on. If you watch my video you will see me use this same technique in a few other examples too. You just upstroke with the pick then immediately come down on the strings with the karate side of your hand. Very relaxed wrist and arm is the key. If you look real close you can also see my fretting hand letting up the pressure on the strings as I mute with my picking hand. This makes both of my hands work together to mute the strings. The picking hand is not doing all of the muting. My fret hand never leaves the string when they mute but they lift up just enough to help.

As requested I listened to the MP3s and looked at this lesson by David Hodge on Guitarnoise HERE

Then I made this VIDEO CLIP 1.9mb WMV

Hope this helps you along. Let us know how your progress goes. It's all about getting better and having fun doing it

:cool:

Doug/LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Little Brother!!! After seeing your blues shuffle lesson I've been working on muting this one I'm still a little to tense with it.

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@dsus4)
Eminent Member

Doug,

I've been playing that song for awhile now. I'll tell you what, that blues shuffle is an awesome addition to that song. Your video was about the easiest lesson I've seen. You wouldn't happen to have anymore (for any song) would you.

Thanks for posting that,

O

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

Thanks Art,

Keep pluggin away because there seems to be no rhyme or reason when it comes to guitar improvement. You just pickup the guitar one day after learning something new and something you could never play before just falls into your hands. Dont ask me how but it happens. So the key is really continuing year after year. Move on to other things and come back and never practice the same thing too much. Better to be practicing 5 songs a little every day than focusing on just one. Good luck though. It's all fun stuff.

Hi Dsus,

Yes I have several pasted to this forum or "stickied" to the top. I also have more over on the forum at http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/forum if you just search the topic titles for the word "VIDEO" all of mine will come up. I always put the word "VIDEO" in my titles. I also have 2 lessons with a great deal of them given away for free on this link
http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/master_pages/lessons.html

Then of course I have some on my personal website both under the LESSON link and the MY MUSIC link too.
http://littlebrother.nlpd.com/

Enough to keep someone busy for a long time for free :)

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the links littlebrother..some good videos there

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

hey folks,i recorded my self playing that horse with no name tune
http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2KOCS8UIW14XU3C5PPQ2M305U6
you can download it from here,please tell me your opinion.[im a beginner by the way]

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hello

I read david's lesson and I tried the suggested pattern he gave us. After a while, listening to the record I developed two a bit different patterns which sound quite good to me

1) DUDU_UD

2) DUDU_UDU

where every note is an eighth one (the _ is also an eighth pause)

What do you think?

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

This is actually the one I use so I guess the point is that there is a variety of ways to play it that sound good and/or close to the song

D_DUDUDU DU_UDUDU

The bold-ed strums is just the base note and the italic up is a palm mute

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

hey folks,i recorded my self playing that horse with no name tune
you can download it from here,please tell me your opinion.[im a beginner by the way]

Nostra, I think the best advice is to stop and get a guitar tuner and have someone sit down with you and learn how to properly tune the instrument and then how to work on some basic chord and picking technique. I am not sure you are ready to begin playing songs and more advanced beginner lessons. You need someone to help you with your beginner basics. Once you have those basic tuning and playing techniques on track I believe the recordings you make will sound more like music. I had a hard time even recognizing what you were playing in that clip. Good luck with it and work hard because it's not easy. Try to find a local person that can mentor you. I am sure there are many fine players where you live.

Best Regards,
LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

oh ok LB,i keep forgeting to byu a tuner:) hehe...
and yea ill try geting some 2 help me out
thx
hey folks,i
recorded my self playing that horse with no name tune

Nostra, I think the best advice is to stop and get a guitar tuner and have someone sit down with you and learn how to properly tune the instrument and then how to work on some basic chord and picking technique. I am not sure you are ready to begin playing songs and more advanced beginner lessons. You need someone to help you with your beginner basics. Once you have those basic tuning and playing techniques on track I believe the recordings you make will sound more like music. I had a hard time even recognizing what you were playing in that clip. Good luck with it and work hard because it's not easy. Try to find a local person that can mentor you. I am sure there are many fine players where you live.

Best Regards,
LB

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Horse is referenced in today's Doonesbury (Jan 20, 2006).

Will wonders never cease?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4