14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
12.7 K Views
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello David.

Just wanted to say that your online lessons are excellent. They've really helped me alot. I'd been struggling after starting lessons for months and still being unable to play a full song. That was of course until I came across your lessons, and played my first full song in "Nowhere Man' and more recently ‘Wish You Were Here'. My only criticism is that many of your lessons don't include accompanying MP3s, which I feel really make it more difficult for the beginner. I particularly find it frustrating trying to figure out strumming patterns without being able to hear them.

So I was hoping if you ever get some free time you could add some MP3s to 'Hey Hey My My' by Neil Young.

Thanks.

PS. Kudos for all the Neil Young Lessons you have up there. Good Stuff.

Thanks again,
Musus

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

(@davidhodge)

Hi and thanks for your kind words concerning my lessons.

Most of the people who've just come to Guitar Noise are unaware that our MP3 files are a relatively new addition to the site. I wrote articles and lessons for a couple of years beforebeing able to come up with money for the equipment necessary to do the recordings for our lessons.

So now we do have a backlog of song lessons (and articles as well) that we'd like to have MP3 files to accompany. This involves two major things:

First, obviously, is time. Since all the work we do at Guitar Noise is voluntary and done in a person's spare time, this becomes a matter of getting the time to do the recording. In my case it also becomes a matter of time as far as computer use - where I live we only have dial-up service (and very slow dial-up at that!). It often takes me a few hours to send the compressed files to Paul so that he can upload them onto the site.

The second problem is actually much more of a concern - we are eating up our audio waveband at an alarming rate. I'd like to say it's because the lessons are so good! :wink: But it's often the fact that people are downloading the sound files multiple times. As a consequence of this, we've encountered numerous problems this year keeping the files online. This is definitely something that we'll need to address, especially since we seem to be getting more and more popular all the time!

Hopefully, with everyone's patience and support, we will manage to get over both of these hurdles. In the meantime, though, I'll do my best to get more and more MP3s recorded and sent off to Paul.

My thanks once more for the post and I look forward to chatting with you again.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Hi and thanks for your kind words concerning my lessons.

The second problem is actually much more of a concern - we are eating up our audio waveband at an alarming rate. I'd like to say it's because the lessons are so good! :wink: But it's often the fact that people are downloading the sound files multiple times. As a consequence of this, we've encountered numerous problems this year keeping the files online. This is definitely something that we'll need to address, especially since we seem to be getting more and more popular all the time!

again.

Peace
Along these lines. Ive downloaded the MP3s onto a disk so I can reference them whenever I want.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I can only imagine how much time and resources it takes to keep a place like this running.

Best of luck with your technical problems.

Thanks for the quick reply.

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member

Hi, everybody!

Why not reconsider using powertab files for the lessons for the sake of "accuracy" (for as much as MIDI can be considered accurate - well... it is fit for practice to me at least) and for "saving space"?

I mean: just compare how much space you need for an mp3 and how much for the same piece of music in powertab. Besides, most lessons have been edited with some similar program, probably Guitar Pro, which is basically the same thing functionwise.

So just decide the standard program and stop overloading your server.

That way I'd get a chance to offer my lesson on "Closer to fine" by the Indigo Girls whose only fault was the use of powertab.

Byeee and keep the good job

ReplyQuote
(@kevin-murchison)

Along these lines. Ive downloaded the MP3s onto a disk so I can reference them whenever I want.

How is it that you are able to do this. I've tried but my Nero program & Windows media keeps refusing me. Any tips? I'm another new guy to the guitar and am having a tough time getting the timming/strumming down and thought if I had a walkman on I could try and play along.

Kevin

Kevin

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

How is it that you are able to do this. I've tried but my Nero program & Windows media keeps refusing me. Any tips? I'm another new guy to the guitar and am having a tough time getting the timming/strumming down and thought if I had a walkman on I could try and play along.

Kevin

If you're having troubles downloading the files, this is done by: hold your mouse over the link and then "Right Click / Save File As"

And if it's burning which is the problem:
You have to put nero in audiomode.

In Nero Smartstart --> Audio --> Make Audio-CD

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Kevin

I use MusicMatch And every time I click on an audio file it is automatically saved to my library. The Basic version is a free download.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@kevin-murchison)

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that program a go.

Kevin

ReplyQuote
(@ibrown)

The site below has a great tab for this song and also a self-recorded mp3.
It's 1 step more advanced than Davids lesson - which means that they compilment each other well.

http://jptrol.free.fr/mus/heyhey/index.htm

Ian

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hello all

first of all thanks to david for the excellent lesson. I have no trouble playing the rhythm guitar parts, things become a bit more complicated if I try to incorporate the signature riff in the rhythm pattern as suggested by david. I guess that part of the problem is that I've never praticed scales enough, still I find some trouble keeping it going. At the beginning I tried to play the riffs while keeping the chord-shape, then I decided to play the single notes with open strings only and to form the chord shape with my left hand just when I have to play the full chord..it's going better but still I've not mastered it completely

any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I don't think you need to worry about scales here. I've just glanced quickly at the lesson, but I think I'd suggest you look at the riff as a way of "walking up" from the Am to the G. If you see it that way, it might get easier.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

The site below has a great tab for this song and also a self-recorded mp3.
It's 1 step more advanced than Davids lesson - which means that they compilment each other well.

http://jptrol.free.fr/mus/heyhey/index.htm

Ian

:shock: Wow well that was intimidating... nice arrangement though but nothing more frightening to me than line after line of tab to memorize ... I'd have to like that song much more than I do :evil: ... Well, basically I am getting a trick or two (or 3, thanks David!) and some more chord changes under my belt with each lesson - more importantly a new song that's FUN to play. However you make it through the song, assuming there's still some kind of beat going.
OK as an adult learner (and admittedly a complete newbie to both this site and the guitar :oops: ) I feel some freedom to do it 'my way' (as long as it's still FUN) so find it easier to learn the song (as a series of chords with a signature riff or 2 thrown in), then come back to it on a regular basis as David suggests and try to dress it up more. Out of the pure joy of doing so, in the heat of the moment. The hard part was learning the song the first time around and then it's supposed to be FUN. Why else play?
Also I'm working on a repertoire of 2 or 3 songs from each favorite artist and find it helpful to take stuff from the lesson and apply it to other songs .... e.g. I just discovered that rhythm from 'I shot the Sheriff' applies totally to 'Natural Mystic' and the one is good practice for the other! Not that this is a new discovery here for many players I'm sure but I'm having a gas! :D
So anyway on this topic a very easy Neil Young classic, where you can use the same trick of switching from rhythm style to picking individual notes and back, working from a soft folk guitar sound to rocknroll climax , would be Helpless (too lazy to insert link here, but the basic chord change is D-A-G, over and over again, and the most famous version is on the Unplugged album ).
... I also like that old chestnut Four Strong Winds, cuz you can start fairly slow and then pick up a bit of speed by the 2nd or 3rd chorus (which has the same chords as the verse, how easy is that?) and since I had to learn it in 4th grade it's etched in my brain anyway.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I can't seem to get this lesson to load for some reason https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/hey-hey-my-my/

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote