49.7 K Views
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Nice one, thanks! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@trudolfs)
Eminent Member

OK, I think I am really stuck here.

I can not say that I have practiced that much, but I have done some, and the fretting is picking up speed. So everything should be just fine?

No! I want to do alternate picking. Just picking it down sound a bit dull and monotonic, so I want alternate. But I am just not getting it.

I can do alternate on all the strings, but just two strings seams to give to lillte room on each side. I got to pick up some speed and force to pick the two strings eavenly, and not stumble on them, but there is no room to do it. Either I stop to late, and bounces into other strings, or I stop to early and stumble on the last string. And also not beeing able to do it eavenly gets my hand out of place.

Maybe there is something wrong with my picking? I use a medium pick, and to start it I held it between thumb and index tip. But that was to flabby. So I have turned to more of a fist (between thumb and index joint and use more brutal force. It is a bit better, but the problems remain :'(

Anybody who can offer some advice? I do not think it is just practice. Its either me or the guitar (which is quite crappy).

/zc

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It really probably is practice.  Don't tense up while you're doing this.  You shouldn't have to change how you hold the pick.  Practice picking an easy chord for a while and don't dig too deep with the pick.   Float.  You're still strumming chords, even if they are two strings.  If I were you, I'd practice the C and F up around the middle of the neck for a while.  (Look at the image up above).   It might be easier than playing the chords up the neck.  
I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like you're feeling frustrating and tensing up as you practice. Try to stay relaxed and breathe while you play.

Another question -- are you playing this on acoustic or electric?  The chords will sound a bit chunkier on acoustic without the distortion from the electric.  That's all right.

Hope that helps.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@trudolfs)
Eminent Member

I play acoustic, but I am having problems floating on just two strings, more like sinking :)

If I pick to high I miss a string once and a while, and if I pick lower, I dig in and stumbles. Its easier on more strings I think, because it eavens out sort of. I mean it doesnt matter that much if I stumble on one string, there are many more to go, and plenty of room at the end.

But maybe you are right, practicing has some mysterious effect on things, it gets better. Must be something with computers ;D

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You've got an optional note on those chords.

The C, for example, can be played:

(5)

Which would give you three strings.  And when you boogie by reaching up with the pinky, you'll probably mute the optional note anyway. Maybe that makes it easier.  But  all of these powerchords have that optional note in them (in these shapes anyway).

If you check this site, for example:

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/fr_db_index.html

It lists all the 5 chords (powerchords) in three string form.      
Maybe that's helpful info for you.  If you want to strum 3 strings as you get used to the song, go right ahead.  It won't hurt at all!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member

Hi, guitarmates!

How would you go about the solo? I've got tab for it from the net but haven't started trying cause it looks difficult.

Is there any simpler riff?
I saw some friends playing  na pentatonic (which?) along with the CD (both Chuck's and Beatles' versions)

This Beginner Group thing is great !!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it would be pentatonic minor for the key you're playing in.

When I get home I'll check for a powertab link that'll show you some licks to throw in.  

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

There's a decent tab of the Beatles' version on the Power Tab archive site:

http://www.powertabs.net/

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member

Hi, Musen!

I was just asking for some advice. I've got both versions in tab and notation, powertab as well.

I've worked the shuffle, but not the solos.

I haven't started because I thought this might be difficult. Maybe shorter riffs might be a good way to get started.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member

Hi, folks!

I know you are going to call me a freak by now if you read what I said about barre in the "I shot the sheriff" thread. The thing is someone showed me that you can play the shuffle using barre.

As far as I can remember for this song, it was based on D7, G7 barre chords on the 10th fret, and A7 barre chord on the 12th fret. Which is basically embellishing the basic shuffle so that it includes the rest of a 7th chord.

What are the pros and cons?
Is this feasable or should I concentrate on something else?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Most people play these in barre chord shapes. The easiest way to get one's fingers in position for doing a shuffle up the neck is to anchor the index finger by laying it across all the frets.

But even though the hand is in this position, they usually strike just the strings being used in the shuffle. The obvious advantage to this is that, should you miss a string on the shuffle, you'll hit another note on the chord and it won't raise an eyebrow.

If you watch guitarists, you'll see that the majority of them play power chords this way as well.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member

Thanks, David.

I can't do this kind of barre yet (otherwise I wouldn't ask what's possible and what not). I just saw it done by somebody with long-time  experience.

Can you shuffle strumming more strings on purpose (not just finger the seventh barre chord but also strum it fully)?
Would it be ok if I start doing it after one year of intensive practice?
Is it wrong if I dedicate my efforts to this way of shuffling? Should I get the other shuffle down pat before this or can they both be learnt at the same time?

Hope there's an easy answer.
Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

estambre,

of course you can do play all 6 strings of the barre chord if you wish, what you have to remember is that the more notes you play the less chance the shuffle has of being distinct. With 2 notes, it's easy one is the "shuffle note" (50% of the sound). With an entire chord one is the "shuffle note" and 5 aren't (17% of the sound).

If you can barre a chord and you can play a power chord shuffle, then the next step to a barre chord shuffle is relatively small.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member

Hi, Greybeard and everyone!

Thanks for your answer. If I understand correctly, playing full chords here ought to be something for the solo-player and just shuffle would be better sounding in a band.

Can anybody suggest a short repetitive lick to play in this song? It probably has a lot to do with pentatonics, the shuffle itself  and so on. And it reckon it also has to do with the actual solo. But I 'm just guessing.

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Hi,

How about arpeggiating (spelling?) some of the chords as David does in Kansas City - finger pick a bar as it suits you?  Add in some hammer ons and slurs that should add interest - have a look at the Kansas City lesson and you'll get a better idea of what I'm trying to say, hope that's helpful  :)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6