Clear all

8 Songwriting Mistakes

35 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
15.9 K Views
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Vic, reading about your organizational abilities, I bet your one of those people who know exactly where last year's tax return or the manual for your television is aren't you? In other words, the complete opposite of me. :D I have a notebook that is supposed to be my song notebook. Some songs are in there, a couple have the chord changes, the back pages have random lines that I wrote down that haven't found a song to live in yet. Then there are my index cards. Sometimes I forget to take my notebook with me and I'll think of a line or a verse and I write it on index cards (I have index cards in just about every place I can be: office, home (in several rooms) and car). This often occurs while I'm driving and my handwriting ain't so neat to begin with. So weeks later, I'll find a card with scribbling on it and think "what the heck is this?" No telling how many lyrics I've "lost" (I don't really lose things, I just temporarily disremember where I left it).

Edit: I forgot to say what I meant to say in the first place.

I like what several of you have said about knowing the rules before breaking them. I tell my development team at work that often. There are certain "rules" to writing code and I tell them I don't mind if they break the rules, but they better know what rule they are breaking and WHY they are breaking it.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic, reading about your organizational abilities, I bet your one of those people who know exactly where last year's tax return or the manual for your television is aren't you?

Nope, guess again - anything to do with guitar is important to me, anything else gets filed under "Ah I'll leave it for now and look at it later". I can tell you at any given time exactly where anything guitar-related is - but apart from that, I couldn't even tell you what date it is without looking at a calendar. That's if I can remember what day it is!

Television manual? Nope. Couldn't even tell you where the remote is. I know where the batteries are, though - one's in my Korg GA30 tuner, the other's in the top left drawer with other guitar-related stuff.

Funny really, because I told someone recently, "you can't be sloppy in most areas of your life and expect to be meticulous and precise in others," when that's pretty much the way I am......anything that doesn't involve music can take a back seat. Hey, I may not be the most talented person around these parts, but I am determined to make the most of the little talent I do have!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@madisgp)

Seems to me there has to be rules. Else you could lock 5 monkees in a room full of instruments and whatever sound they came up with would be "music". I don't think so. I think you must devolope your "craft" before you create art. There are most deffinatly rules to "craft".

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Seems to me there has to be rules. Else you could lock 5 monkees in a room full of instruments and whatever sound they came up with would be "music". I don't think so.
It worked with 4 Monkees. :D :? :shock: :roll:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

That article was very edifying.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3