Clear all

Becoming a Songwriter

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rcsnydley1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Does any one know what someone would need to do to sell songs to publishers or record companies. What are the steps if someone wants to be a professional songwriter?

Ric

"I've got blisters on my fingers." - Ringo Starr

(@rcsnydley1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thought I would resurrect this thread and see if there is any new input. David, perhaps an article or series.

Ric

"I've got blisters on my fingers." - Ringo Starr

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

It pays my bills...

Sure, going for something Platinum sounds nice...but you need to rely on a whole band...which is no easy row to hoe.

Me? I do jingles. Inherently, the hooks are blatant so that helps, immensely. I get to shop them around to ad agencies and to businesses all by myself...so that helps.

But to get pop stuff published (mainstream) you'll need a COMMERCIAL product. If you are asking a company to lay lots of money into you...they want a return. "Nice" won't do it...and this sent Apple broke.

If you think you've got a "hit"...go through the Yellow Pages and get the A&R Departments (Artist and Repertoire) for labels. Lord's Sake...make CERTAIN you're copywritten, too!!! Keep in mind that different labels cater to certain genré...so don't send jazz to a hip hop label, in other words. I've found that there's HEAPS of stuff I've listened to here on GN...good stuff but mis-identified as to genré...and, consequently, to which label may well be quite interested. But hooks don't necessarily rule the day in all cases. One guy'd make a good living if his stuff ever got onto the music channel on cable TV, for example..."spa" or "easy listening" or "light pop classical". But he's oblivious to this.

Anyway, you'll most likely get a letter back saying that "your work does not show sufficient commercial potential". It'll be signed by somebody. Call 'em. Ask why.

Good luck!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote