Clear all

Can I write songs??

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

A similar question has probably already been asked here but I am new, so please bare with me.

I actually have been playing guitar for a several years on and off but never really had much time to devote to it so I never really got better so I am still a beginner.  Recently have had a lot more time to play.  My question is, is being a beginner, am I already able to write songs?  I have ideas for songs sometimes when I am doing the randomest things, melodies will pop in my head or some lines for lyrics.  I also when fooling around with the guitar start playing things that I think sound cool.  I have just recently been trying to write down all my lyrical ideas (I even write down my ideas that aren't music related).  Should I have a mini-tape recorder that I can hum the melodies into?  Should I also record the guitar parts that I think sound cool?  Some of the song ideas I have, I don't think I have the ability (yet?) to translate them to a musical instrument.  For an added note, I am not completely ignorant to music theory.

I guess I kind of just need reassurance.  I am a perfectionist and am overly critical of myself, in a way I am just afraid that all the musical ideas I have are bad.  Basically, is it ever to early to attempt writing songs?

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's never too early to try to write.

One of my earliest memories dates back to when I was maybe 6 years old... I would hear a melody in my head, and want to write it down.  My parents had some books of folk songs and early American tunes and such, and I'd sing them to myself (I could barely read the lyrics) until I found a note that matched what I heard in my head.  Then I'd laboriously copy down the note from the staff above it.

I had no concept of keys, accidentals, whatever... but I was putting down the music I heard.

As far as musical background goes, did you ever watch Jeopardy?  Listen to the theme song?  Merv Griffin wrote that, and he's not exactly Grammy material.  But every time they play it he gets money added to his royalty check.

Sure, the fact that he created the show has a lot to do with that... but the point is, it's not ability or education that makes a tune... it's a songwriter.

If you want to be one, be one!

Tom

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Are you able to write songs? Of course you are.

Melodies popping into your head - Good

Playing things that sound cool - Good

Tape recorder? Yes

Record things that sound cool? Yes

Too early? No. Go for it.

Reassured now? Pop over to the Sunday Songwriters page here, and pick yourself a title.

Best,

Alan :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

I agree with Alan. When I started, I learned to play Suite Madame Blue and Stairway to Heaven. I soon realized that although these are good songs, I don't enjoy playing other people's music: I just can't get into them. And, like you, melodies and lyrics kept popping into my head.

So if you want to write, then write. It may be a bit laborious and even naive at first, but don't worry about it, it will get easier. But a few years from now, if someone wants you to play in their cover band, run away, you'll never be able to get into that... But that's not necessarily a bad thing!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There are a couple of articles around here about it.  Maybe 50 or so by A-J and a couple by me.

Check out "So you want to be a songwriter"

and the two linked at the bottom of this post.

Sunday Songwriter's just started up again, now is a good time to join in.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone!  This is great encouragement.   I think I might go out and buy a micro-tape recorder today.  And hopefully soon, you will see some of my songs posted in sunday song writer's club.  In a way I want to kick myself for just getting on the ball now and not recording or writing down my ideas but with your positive feedback, I am assured that even better ones will come to replace those that I have lost!  I do have some lyrics written down, I am going off right now to find them.

I am definitely going to check out the songwriting articles on this page.   I just found pguitar noise like 2 weeks ago and I think it is really going to help me play and write.  Actually, it has already helped me.

Thanks again!
Purple

Noteboat, my picking is already seeing improvment.  I hadn't completely lost it but it is definitely returning, thanks again for those exercizes.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@maxwell)
Estimable Member

NO!  You cannot write songs!  There are too many songwriters already!  ;D

Just kidding.  Actually, these forums are the perfect place to start.  Read the articles, get feedback, etc.  I think my songwriting has improved greatly since I started getting honest criticism.  Its not just the feedback on my own songs, but reading the feedback on others' songs helps me organize my thinking so I actually have more to work with up in the old noggin.

I am a big fan of  " (insert topic) For Dummies" books.  I highly recommend Songwriting For Dummies.  

Many of us have our own mp3's posted in various places on the Internet, including http://mp3.moosoft.net Good luck, and hope to be reading and hearing your songs soon!  

He not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding)

ReplyQuote
(@coolalf)

I will record my song in my computer thought I don't know much about music theory! the melodies is beautiful,in my opinion,when you learn enuogh to write a song,you may not have the inspiration at present!so if you have some idea,i surgest you record it first,and write it down in the future!!

I am from far away, I am a fish!

ReplyQuote