Clear all

Copyrighting under a stage name?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was told that you should always put Copyright (C) 2006 "My name" on lyrics you write and post. However, I want to keep my music life separate from my professional life. So, does anyone know if I did Copyright (C) 2006 "Stage Name" does that hold up the same?

I guess I'm saying I don't want a google search of my real name to show the lyrics I've written that I'm self-consicous about, yet it would be nice to have a copyright in case what I've written is a gem :)

Is this possible to do?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes.

Copyright law allows you to use a pseudonym, but the length of the protection will be a little different.

Using your real name protects a work for your lifetime, plus 70 years. If you use a fake name, it's 95 years from publication, or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not actually worried about the official copyright with the office (I'd do that under my real name), I just meant on the internet :) So it seems like if you append things Copyright 2006 "Pen Name", but you've registered with the office under "Real Name", then you're set.

I found out more info here: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl101.html

A pseudonym or pen name may be used by an author of a copyrighted work. A work is pseudonymous if the author is identified on copies or phonorecords of that work by a fictitious name (nicknames or other diminutive forms of one's legal name are not considered “fictitious”). As is the case with other names, the pseudonym itself is not protected by copyright.

If you are writing under a pseudonym but wish to be identified by your legal name in the records of the Copyright Office, you should give your legal name followed by your pseudonym at the “name of author” line at space 2 of the application (example: “Judith Barton whose pseudonym is Madeline Elster”). You should also check “yes” in the box at space 2 which asks “Was this author's contribution to the work pseudonymous?” If the author is identified in the records of the Copyright Office, the term of the copyright is the author's life plus 70 years.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'm not actually worried about the official copyright with the office (I'd do that under my real name),

You need to do one or the other.

If you publish under a pseudonym then establish copyright under your name, then anyone citing your publication of the work requires they put (C) <real name> on it.

You will end up confusing the issue. If you want to keep your music life seperate from your work life -- esablish a limited corporation for yourself under your pseudonym, copyright everything to your LLC, and use only your pseudonym for that work.

A lawyer can (and should) give you more details.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote