Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

"Girl Next Door" - Emergency anniversary!

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@smohyee)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone. This is my first song ever, and my first post on this forum. Most of my time at guitarnoise is spent on the lessons, but I've been following some song posts on this forum, and I think you guys could really help me, because I've got a bit of an emergency. I've spent the last two months on and off trying to finish a song I like in time for my girlfriend's birthday (which is also our year long anniversary), coming up this Friday the 28th. I feel confident enough to sing whatever I come up with by then, but I really think outside input and experience would greatly improve what I have. Also, aside from the lyrics and a basis for the structure of the song, I don't have a melody, or chord progression, or anything else really.

As with everyone else, I don't matter to me what your experience level is, just that you contribute something. And I'm more worried about my girlfriend than my ego, so please don't hold back!

Girl Next Door - (I came up with these lyrics while humming Billy Joel's Piano Man, so that would be the structural basis)

There's a corner cafe down on Shattuck street,
Where the walls are all made of glass,
I find myself there every week or so,
And I can reflect on my past,

I think about things that I might have done,
I think about things left to do,
But as my thoughts grow with the rising sun,
I'll end up thinking of you

Chorus:

You're the girl next door, you'll always be,
Doesn't matter how far you go,
Because I'll always long to have you near to me,
Like the spring rose that melted the snow.

I'm coming up with more verses to add. I'm thinking three sets of two verses followed by the chorus, and I'm gonna try and modify a chord progression based on Billy Joel's song. By the way, that last line in the chorus was kind of stuck in there to finish it off, because I couldn't find anything suitable to the subject matter. Any suggestions?

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I think it's a good start. It seems up tempo so it should scoot.

More! :)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote