Clear all

Leave it all behind. Now with MP3!!

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I just finished this one about last week.
Its been a long time sence I wrote any thing let alone posted here so heres a new one. :D

Gonna buy me a ticket today
hope it takes me far away
gonna see the coast I'm gonna make the most.

chorus
I'm gonna leave it all behind
I aint wastin no more time
I'm headed out to night you know I'll be fine

Here I am talking to you my friend
I need to see more then this town can offer me

chorus

Here I am sinking me toes in the sand
look at me taking in the scenery.

chorus
I'm gonna leave it all behind.

Thank for reading and the mp3 file can be found on my soundclick page and the link is in my sig. :D

(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Any body? :?

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I'll chime in here, but I really don't know anything about song writing and composition :lol:

Very mellow, but there is a bad hiss in the MP3 that I listened to so it really distracted me from the song.

I like the way it fits together though, as far as the song goes.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply :D
Yeah everything I record comes out like that I need a new sound card.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Crkt246,

Sorry, I didn't notice the music link before. :oops:

That sure is one mean hiss you've got going there, and I'm not a fan of Country style music so, to be honest, I didn't expect to like it much. But in fact I cheerfully listened through both of your songs more than once, and found a lot to like. So you must be getting something right. :wink:

The first thing that struck me was that you have a great voice for that kind of song, and have made good choices of pace and material to suit your vocal range and style. People who don't sing often assume that some types of song are easy to do, but that's not the case. All styles require certain skills if you're to do justice to the format. I felt that you'd found the right niche for your style and were doing a very good job at it. I've just started trying to learn how to sing my own stuff, so I know that it's not easy at all, and I'm impressed by anybody who can do a good job at it.

Contrary to what many non singers seem to assume, singing slowly, and playing slower music on an instrument, can actually be more a lot more demanding than faster material. If your timing or pacing is even a fraction off then it can really show. I thought you carried that side of things off very well, and you sounded relaxed, confident, and very much at home with what you were doing. Good writing reads like the author just sat down and all it all poured out with almost no effort. The truth of course is that it's almost always the end result of years of practice, editing and re-appraisal. Similarly, good singing sounds like the singer just opened their mouth and it all just flowed out naturally. So you have something very good going for you there.

There were a couple of spots where the playing could be tightened up a wee bit, but I'm pretty sure that you'd feel that way too. At this level most of us aren't expecting to have all the detail up to pro standard. I liked your wry choice of band name. :mrgreen:

The lyrics also seemed to work pretty well, especially once they were matched to the music. Lyrics are a particularly intriguing form of writing in that it's pretty much expected that you'll provide an emotional experience that the listener can tap into fairly easily, yet you also have to try and add some original elements. Many successful songs seem to flirt with the popular cliches of the genre without actually going all the way to marriage, if I can put it that way. I thought you had done OK there. A popular theme of leaving for a fresh start, but stopping short of ‘lonesome trails' and ‘aching hearts'.

The phrases you chose worked well on their own too, which is a big plus in a song. In a book or a poem the reader chooses the pace so you can get far deeper into detail and use much more complex and intricate plotting and imagery. But songs often work well if the individual phrases and lines paint the overall picture without relying on the listener ‘getting' all the links and references in every detail, or in exactly the right order. So I instantly got the mood suggested by “gonna buy me a ticket”, “gonna leave it all behind” and so on, and the lines about toes in the sand had a feel of a “wish you were here” holiday postcard that successfully established the mood there in a few brief words. If I was to suggest anything it would be that I could handle a bit more story, or some more imagery to flesh out either your reason for leaving, or your pleasure at arrival, or indeed any aspect of the journey. You got the backbone there, so there's probably room for a twist or two, something a little unusual or unexpected, or even just another helping in a similar line.

Good laid back stuff that I'd predict would please a lot of listeners. All the best with taking your songs wherever you choose to go. Oh, and please do shell out the bucks for some better gear - your music deserves it.... :)

Cheers,

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you very much Chris. :D

ReplyQuote