Clear all

self-censorship

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gram99)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thought that would get your attention :-)

how many of you self-censor? I mean c'mon, don't we all pen lyrics that our own little mind censors say shouldn't be spoken out loud. Most of my lyrics come out quite controversial vis a vis the times we live in. I know I don't have to face my Waterloo because I am not a performer though many have told me my lyrics could easily get me shot in certain parts of the country.

I ask because I recently saw a video of Bob Dylan singing Masters of War on Washington Square in the sixties. We all know he would sing it there and he would sing it anywhere. What would happen today if a new Dylan were to stand up and sing an equally powerful song that captured the times. Would he be shredded on Fox? Would he or she be Dixie Chick'd for daring to express an opinion BEFORE it was convenient to do so as it is now that Bush is wearing thin? Makes you realize how ballsy Dylan was because he sang his songs when they were meant to be sung and not when it was safe to do so. Who among us would do it now?
Personally during these times I don't have the heart to write love songs.

just curious
discuss amongst yourselves

gram99

"Nothing happens until something moves."

Albert Einstein

(@alangreen)

Doesn't the first amendment to the constitution give you the right to say any thing you like? Freedom of Speech and all that? Britain has something similar but not enshrined in the constitution.

Or are some things more Free than others in the lands of the free?

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

gee this isn't political is it?
oh i forgot it only works one way, gee would they shred me on CNN?

#4491....

ReplyQuote