Clear all

That's Alright

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So, I'm messing about on the acoustic, and fooling about with a harmonica - I get an idea for a Dylan-ish song. So I strum a few chords, and this is how it turns out....

That's Alright.

Well you can hang around with me, that's all right, if you like,
Well you can hang around with me, that's all right, if you like,
But you won't like my friends and the way it all ends,
But you can hang around with me, and that's all right, if you like.

Well you can tell your story to the papers if you like, that's all right,
Well you can tell your story to the papers if you like, that's all right,
You'll get silver pieces, thirty, you'll feel forever dirty,
But you can tell your story to the papers if you like, that's all right.

Well you can tell all your friends I'm no good, and that's alright,
Well you can tell all your friends I'm no good, and that's alright,
Well you can tell them how I used you, ignored you and abused you,
Yeah you think that they'll believe you? Well all right!

Well you can tell your friends you cast me aside, that's all right,
Well you can tell those friends just how you cast me aside, that's all right
And babe I'll guarantee, you'll get no sympathy,
When you tell those friends just how you cast me aside, that's all right.

EDIT - just added another verse...seems to round the first whole off....

You'll wonder why you've got no friends soon, that's alright, that's alright
Yeah you'll wonder why you're friendless, that's alright, that's alright,
It's because they all see through you, and no-one wants to be you,
And we'll talk about you deep into the night, and that's alright.

Question - is this kind of song, where you're obviously influenced to a huge extent by someone you've followed faithfully for at least 30 years, classed as a pastiche, an affectionate tribute, or a rip-off? I learned a lot of acoustic guitar phrasing from Dylan - even more about vocal phrasing, and yet more about the whole structure of a song - sometimes simple words and simple chords can say far more than complex imagery in your writing. I'll try and get a rough demo of this done in the AM....

:D :D :D

Vic

(And I have to admit, it's not the first Dylan-inspired song I've ever written - wrote one about three years ago that I've done four versions of to date.....and there'll probably be more....)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Question - is this kind of song, where you're obviously influenced to a huge extent by someone you've followed faithfully for at least 30 years, classed as a pastiche, an affectionate tribute, or a rip-off?
If you come up with a Dylan song, who cares how you did it?
Just think of it as one of the songs he missed.
I'm looking forward to hearing it. I haven't heard an acoustic/harmonica combination from here yet.

A pastiche? I had to look that one up. (antipodean, pastiche . . . keep 'em coming)
So, you finished your assignment and now your doodling?
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I haven't heard an acoustic/harmonica combination from here yet.

So you weren't here back in '05 when the topic in the SSG was to write a protest song? I took Dylan for the role model for that one - well you would, wouldn't you! - and came up with a song called "Blood On Your Hands" - originally done with acoustic guitar (Umm, that's the song I mentioned at the end of the original post....)and vocals from a Texas hotel bedroom, later re-done with harmonica - the fourth version I've done of that song (sadly, I lost all the other versions when my last computer blew up!) is the one that's on my soundclick site now.
So, you finished your assignment and now your doodling?

Yep. Hey, you finished before me though - and it's a quiet week, isn't it! Got to keep the brain cell active - got to give it a little exercise, otherwise it'll seize up altogether and join its twin - the one that died at birth. And you jumped the gun on this one, Mr Psychic Powers - any relation to Austin? - 'bout time you came up with something new!

Have to admit, though, Ken, YOUR last SSG song did kind of inspire MY last SSG song....that and a few ideas we tossed back and forth, so thanks for that!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Question - is this kind of song, where you're obviously influenced to a huge extent by someone you've followed faithfully for at least 30 years, classed as a pastiche, an affectionate tribute, or a rip-off?

I'm sure Dylan asked himself that one time or another. With about twelve gazillion songs being written since recording technologies were invented it's kinda hard not to sound like someone else, and if you sound like someone else you might as well sound like someone you like listening to. Or you could come up with something noone ever did before. I did, a few times, and it instantly made me understand why nobody ever did it before. :P

Don't worry. Write a song, kill a kangeroo, wrestle with wombats, be happy. In any order you like.

ReplyQuote
(@rcsnydley1)
Trusted Member

Nice!!
I could hear Dylan doing it as I read the lyrics. Can't wait to hear the music to go along with it.
As far as stealing or ripping off goes even Dylan was influenced by someone. As is everyone, its what keeps it all going.

Snydley

Ric

"I've got blisters on my fingers." - Ringo Starr

ReplyQuote