Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

The Delta "New song" Brown note no more.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

I'm not sure most of our readers can follow this - the notation itself is a mix of notes and stage directions and there are a lot of questions either way.

The first measure is self-explanatory in that it's all in standard notation. No problems there. Knowing this is done in open G (and I'm only assuming that based on how much you mention open G in all your other threads) is obviously a big plus because there isn't a need to worry about fingering - all the notes in the first measure are played on the twelfth fret. Or on a combination of the twelfth fret for the first note and open strings for the others. Second measure uses a repeat sign, so just repeat the first measure. So far so good.

But then it becomes guess work. Does "5 open" mean play the notes at the fifth fret (in open G, that's just a C chord) and then play the open strings (G chord)? If so, how long for each? One can guess that each chord gets two beats, but it is simply a guess. One could play the C chord as a grace note and immediately get off the strings and back to the G. One could start with the C and do a long, slow slide to the open strings. This chart doesn't really tell us all that much.

Likewise on the last two lines. The first measure of each says "7th" and one can assume you mean play a D chord on the seventh fret. One can also assume that it's for four beats. But is it a single chord played once and held four beats? Is there perhaps a specific rhythm pattern one's supposed to strum? How does one tell.

And, again in the "12 open" we're left to figure out what exactly we're supposed to do.

And there's all sorts of other questions - how fast or slow is it? Are you playing the eighth notes straight or are you using the typical "swing eighth" style of rhythm used in blues? If one were to just look at this sheet and knew (or guessed) it was in open G, one might simply say "it's a basic twelve barre blues in G song" and not know what, exactly, makes it "your" song.

As a set of instructions meant to give us a picture of a song, these could stand to be a lot more specific. A lot of people record their songs and then post a link so that the instructions can have an audio reference. Others might write out a lot more detail in standard notation to help out the reader - to enable him or her to "listen" by reading.

Finally, with most songs, the most distinguishing part of them are the lyrics and melodies (the part that's either sung or played as a lead). Literally thousands of songs have the same basic chord progressions - no where is this more true than in the basic twelve bar blues format. Having at least a melody can help distinguish your song from a basic chord progression.

Hope this helps, or at least helps explain why folks may be having a bit of trouble giving you an answer as to how they like your song.

Peace

(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I wish I could slide

Nice clip

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote