Three copyright questions

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, my band is getting some nibbles at opportunities to play around town and we are anticipating a need for a demo CD to give to owners that might like us to play.

#1 I cant remember how it works.. we play two covers which are "Mustang Sally" and "Unfailing Love" and I wondered if there would be a problem including them on our CD as covers we do.

#2 Same thing as number 1 but instead of CDs, how about MySpace?

#3 I approached my church about playing (solo) for the childrens area. It would be songs mostly covered by CCLI liscense. Is it even worth worrying about? Legally, would I need my own license to play CCLI songs in that area of ministry if it was on a consistant basis or does the churches license cover me?

Sorry, just doing alot of brainstorming this morning and I couldnt find the answers myself.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

#1 - you need to license covers you record. Bands who've recorded the song in the past don't get a cut - but the songwriter does. So you can either identify who owns the publishing rights and negotiate a license directly, or you can contact the Harry Fox Agency, which represents about 27000 publishers.

#2 - asking for trouble. Some publishers are already suing MySpace (and select MySpace users) for unauthorized publishing.

#3 - don't worry about it. The CCLI license covers 'congregational use', and it seems to me your use would fall under that. If you step outside the congregation with it - by broadcasting, selling CDs, etc., then I'd worry. But even there, the CCLI license allows limited use of recording - they have FAQs on their website

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Adding to NoteBoat's comment on #3 - You do not even need a license (nor does the church, in fact) to perform a copyrighted song for congregational use. The problem comes when you copy the music or lyrics (even projecting the lyrics onto a screen so the congregation can sing along) - that's what the CCLI license covers.

If I remember tonight, I'll ask our praise team leader if the religious services exemption and/or the CCLI license covers performing for children's groups at the church - she also teaches music as part of the preschool and Sunday school programs.

Another useful reference:
http://www.mpa.org/copyright_resource_center/church_musician

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick response Noteboat and Mitch.. Its pretty much what I thought would be said.. but I wanted to make sure.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote