Notifications
Clear all

Trouble singing over chord progression

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shimmer)
Topic starter  

Hi im new here and I just thought I'd join to get input from more advanced songwriters.
Here's the thing.
I dont have any problems with the lyrical part of songwriting.
I come up with great guitar parts (riffs, chord progressions) etc.
The problem I'm having is that when I try to sing over the chords I sing exactly the chord and not a melody. I feel like Im not progressing at all and getting frustrated. The lyrics I sing are so stuck to the chords that it sounds like im just singing what Im playing.

I tried to record some progressions on my computer and sing over them aswell, but same thing happens.

Another problem I have is Im really having trouble singing as I play, unless Im again, singing the exact chord.

Sorry if these are stupid questions or if theyve been posted.
Thanks in advance

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

record your song, then using your guitar, play a simple melody over it, then sing what you just played.
the other thing to do is just sing and play a lot of covers that you already know, and then sing them differently each time, changing the rhythm and melody and vamping a little, until you can sing and play independently.
or sing a simple song, like three blind mice, while playing random chords underneath, until you can hear your own voice and control it.

ReplyQuote