Vocal Melody

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have this problem.

Sometimes I'm writing and the words just flow. I consider myself an 'OK' songwriter (bdw I play lead guitar, but I don't sing). But when the lyrics are written and ready that's just about it. I can create a guitar part for it, I can even do the drums, bass and layout in my head... but I'm stuck with the vocal melody... The vocal melodies I come up with are always the same... and monotonous!!

The problem arises whenever I'm trying to do the solo. I like to listen well to the vocal melody first whenever I'm doing a solo and go from there (even though I usually don't ever play that same melody in the solo itself)...

What's wrong? Is it normal for me since I'm not a singer?

It's getting on my nerves since we have no vocalist in our band (yet)...

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

(@il_manti)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So that you have an idea of what I'm talking about... here's a song I wrote:

Tomorrow's Gone

Verse
The shows are over
The crowds are gone
The rain that's falling
Is washing away

A faded photograph
In a broken frame
A screaming guitar
Echoes the night

Chorus
Remember the days of glory
Remember the days gone by
Never again will I be sorry
Never again to say goodbye

Verse
The lights are off
The sound is gone
A cloak of darkness
Covers the stage

I'm sitting here
Yesterday's lost
I'm starting over
Tomorrow's gone

Chorus

Interlude
Tomorrow is gone...
Today is now...

Solo

Chorus X 2

Now... I want this to be a kind of a slow rock ballad ... I've got the music, I've worked with the band and got everything layed out... but the vocals ... GRRR :x

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Try to start with the melody instead of the chords.

I have a problem completing the lyrics, but I can come up with pretty good melodies. But I do it without the guitar. Sit in front of a keyboard and plink out the melody, maybe a triad or two to add some color, but don't worry about harmony.

Get a tune that after you whistle it once it stays in your head for a couple of days, and you'll know you have it right. Then add the harmony.

The advantage of working from the melody first is that you can get a lot more creative with the harmony as well. Key changes, pedal notes, and a whole host of other harmonic points of interest will suggest themselves once you have the melody down.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Improvise on your guitar and sing along.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote