Clear all

Writing based around a chord progression

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing guitar for about a year now and i have been writing / attempting to write songs for most of that time. My problem is that i keep coming up with bits of songs, usually chord progressions (not particularly original ones) or lead lines. I have even written one song starting with the lyrics and built from there. More often than not i can't expand on these flashes of inspiration. HELP! :cry:

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

(@alangreen)

Hmmm.

Lego Bricks.

Do any of these flashes of inspiration work well with any of the others?

If you strip out some of the chord sequences and rework the words to a different chord sequence, do any of the bricks work better with any of the others as a result?

As you've found, making a whole song from a simple idea is not always the easiest thing to do, so it's time to look at it from a different perspective.

Why not post some of your lyrics here in the songwriting club - maybe some of the other contributors can suggest some ideas that you can pick up on to build more of the song. We'd like to see them, anyway.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ssstrat11s)
Eminent Member

I like to keep paper all around my house, and if I have a sudden idea at any time I slap it down on the paper as soon as it hits me. If it sucks it sucks. But with all that written down, you'd be amazed at someof the things that go through even the worst players heads. One way to do it is to think with your fingers. Don't bother thinking about chords, just kinda go through them as you sit down and see what sounds good. Not only is this good for writing songs, but its excellent practice.

Buckle up - It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Borrow money from pessimists, they don't expect it back.

ReplyQuote