Clear all

12 string question

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@trueg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Would it matter if i switched the strings on a 12 string so that the thicker string was on top, kinda like a rickenbaker. Or switch the strings on a rick so that they are like a normal 12 string.

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Not a 12 string expert, but it seems that you will have to replace the nut. The slots are cut to fit each string. So, if you put the thicker one on top, the slots will be too big and too small.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Yep; you'd probably have to get a nut custom made. Might be some intonation issues as well depending on the bridge; not sure.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

Yep; you'd probably have to get a nut custom made. Might be some intonation issues as well depending on the bridge; not sure.
Mos likely will mess up the intonation. The guitar is not set up that way.Why do you need or want to change it? I've seen people turn them into nine strings,heavier bass strings,and lighter double ones.It sounds cool as well. You might try that,a bit cheaper than getting a custom made bridge.

ReplyQuote
(@trueg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was just curious Gchord. Sorry if i upset you.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

I was just curious Gchord. Sorry if i upset you.
You didn't man, he was just giving his opinion.

You'd need a new nut, no doubt. Why the change though? I'm curious. Any reason for it?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 on the nut change, but the intonation is not likely to be compromised any more than the disaster it already is on 99% of 12s. Who here has seen an acoustic 12 string with separate bridge intonation compensation for the main and octave strings? Most 12-string acoustics simply go with the usual one-piece slanted saddle; so the octave strings for the G, D and A are likely to be pretty screwed up intonation-wise already -- maybe the low E as well. Swapping regular and octaves isn't going to matter much -- in fact, if one thinks about it, it would move the octave strings into a very slightly better position for 'correct' (less) compensation, although not by much. But in any case, with all the typical 12 tuning complexities, more notes + harmonics and myriad beat notes going on to create that chorus-like sound, who would notice? This very complexity is what makes 12 strings so sweet and forgiving of somewhat sloppy playing. As long as one approximates a reasonable tempered tuning, everything is cool.

And of course most 12s never quite achieve good tuning for more than 60 seconds (if that) anyway.

(Also thanks for posting this topic -- got me to pull out my Guild 12-string for the first time in almost a year. Sweet sounding it is ...)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Greg, you made me laugh really hard with this one:

"And of course most 12s never quite achieve good tuning for more than 60 seconds (if that) anyway."

Best laugh of the day. I have yet to experience playing (or tuning) a 12. Man, I didn't realize it's that bad. Kathy regularly plays with one and I know David started with one. Weird how they are such a beast.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Actually, my electric 12 string is very stable -- it stays in tune quite well.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Actually, my electric 12 string is very stable -- it stays in tune quite well.

Different animal those 'lectrics -- much less finicky than acoustics.

Dennis: This is a version of one of David's fave jokes:

Q: How long does it take to tune a 12-string?

A: Nobody knows yet.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I have a 12-string acoustic, I love it and I don't notice anything bad with the tuning, however I don't bend strings much on it or anything.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote