Skip to content
12 String questions...

Notifications
Clear all

12 String questions. ( is david around?)

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys I just got a 12 string for christmas.

I know how to tune it in standard tuning, but I just know theres alot of fun to be had with alternate tunings.

Anybody know good ones for a twelve string?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

D A D F# A D sounds really rich and nice:

http://www.strummeronline.com/dtuning.html

But G is nice as well - D G D G B D.

You get all those octaves floating all over the place - it's great. Have fun :)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Open E and Open G if you're into that bluesy feel!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I see. I know of these tunings, I guess what I was really looking for was some tuning taking advantage of the different intervals you can achive with a 12 string.

Thanks for the advice!~

( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Ohhh, you mean like tuning the octave pairs in fifths or something? Sorta like a drone thing or making huge, lush quintal harmonies?

Fifths and fourths are what you could probably do; thirds would be weird because of their sequence within a scale. Try fifths maybe. I think you could have your 12 and 11 strings down to C with no problem, then, go up in fifths maybe.

That would sound pretty cool. :)

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeahm and I was thinking mabey if there was some way of tunign different strings to different intervals within a key...but i have no idea how or if that would work/sound good.

ReplyQuote
(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

You should be able to tune the second set of strings to thirds. Pick a key and do it to diatonic thirds (1=major, 2=minor, etc.) The only trouble you should have is you'll limit the keys you can play in, but you should be able to get some great sounds.

I've nevre even thought about this before, but when I get a 12 I'm giving it a try.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

If I would tune to thirds that woudl invloves tuning up, correct? So mabye I should tuner everything down a whole step to begin with.

I dunno, im not quite sure how to go about it. I'm not good with theroy, or with tuning. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Sorry - I didn't even see this 'til yesterday (being away from the computer for ten days isn't always a good thing)! I'll answer in this week's newsletter, since I've too much running around to do in the next few days. I hope that's okay.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

No problem at all man. Thanks for all your work on this site, by the way. :D

ReplyQuote