Clear all

1982 Fender Lead III... Yep I got one!

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@flashback)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering if anyone has heard of the Fender Lead III's. Apparently from my research they were made from 1979 till 1983. They are a strat style body and neck. With two humbuckers, a volume control, and a tone control. With a 3 way toggle. And a toggle coil tap. My Lead III I got pretty rough. The neck looks like it hasnt been played since 1982 but its straight as it can be. The pickups are really screaming though. I dunno why, but they sound awesome! I think I might have a collectable piece. It basically just needs 2 new springs on the neck pickup adjustment screws, but all the electronics work fine. And a new paint job cause some of the paint is cracked. But no wood cracked. The frets and neck have wear but I can get a luthier to fix all that.

But I am wondering if I have a collectable or a forgotten axe from Fender.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

(@boogieman)
Trusted Member

I had a Lead I back in 1984? The lead I had one humbucker with two switches to change the polarity and to tap into a single coil. That It was my first "real" electric when I was 14 years old. It was a great guitar, very comfortable and basic designed served me well. They were made in America. They're going for around $300 - $600 on ebay, depending upon their shape. They were not very desireable back in the day, but are becoming more so as they age and they become harder to find.

If it's in good shape, I'd hang onto it.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I suggest if you have an older guitar or any antique in fact NEVER repaint or deface the instrument until you find out what you have. I for one would value an original keeper with no mods and this most definitely includes repainting. Just a thought.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i agree. a guitar with some finish cracks has character, and if you repaint it, it will become almost faceless. let's it's true identity shine. clean it up a bit, fix what NEEDS to be fixed, and let 'er rip

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm with everyone else. Heck, looka t Keith Richard's tele. It looks like it's been dragged behind a dirt bike, but it's cool.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote