Clear all

$4000 blem guitar

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

In case anyone's interested... Musician's Friend is selling a 1950's reissue. Only 100 made.

Oh, yeah, by the way it is a BLEM model...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-1955-Stratocaster-Relic-2TSB-LTD?sku=517926X

Who would pay that kind of money for a BLEM??

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

LOL; if it's a relic, how do they know?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Exactly what I was thinking! ;)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I will pay if they make it left-handed. :P (I always have this point in my armour)

But to be serious, its 3000 $ down the drain. Getting a 1000 $ MIA would be better, imo. Not to offend any vintage collectors.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

That is a strange guitar.

I agree - if it's a relic, how do you get a blem????

It isn't a relic though....
Only partially so - more like a closet classic.
The plastic isn't 'aged' nor is the fretboard 'worn' as would be on a reliced guitar.

And it's not a RI - it has Fat 50's PUPS in it with a reverse wound/reverse polarity mid pup to accomodate a 5 pos. switch.

Hmmmmmmm.....

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I may be mis-reading it, but it's not a vintage guitar. It's a re-make of that guitar, and only 100 remakes were done by the custom shop.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Yes, supposedly a Fender Custom Shop 55 RI that has had the "Relic" treatment done to it.

The thing is that if it were Reliced - then it's made to look all old and worn out, even beat up looking.
So the question is.... how can you have a Blem model if it was made purposely to have dings and worn paint and all????

And, if it were a RI - it would have correct pups and a 3 way switch, which it doesn't.

So it really doesn't fit into any catergory.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Well its easy to make it vintage. Let the UPS guys be told to be as rough as they can be with this guitar. You will be pleased with the blems and dings it has when it reaches your home. A pure relic. Coveted by millions. 'Vintage' - Now that's what you get for a measily 4000 $.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Looks closer to 5,000 to me (4,759.99). What does Blem really mean here, it's not short for blemished (as in poorly made or beat up already) is it, it seems dumb to describe it as beautifully designed, and then we intentionally hit it against an amp and drove around with it in the bed of a pick up truck with a bunch of rocks.... and hit some speed bumps at 80 mph etc...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am sure that is a nice guitar, but I think it's kind of foolish to spend that kind of money on a "vintage copy". No matter what they tell you, these guitars are never exact replicas of earlier guitars because many of the companies making the components went out of business years ago, or the components have been changed over the years. But guitar companies continue to sucker players into thinking they are going to get an exact copy of earlier years.

And the truth is, these guitars are not necessarily better than today, just as cars from the 50's are not anywhere as sophisticated as cars today. Yeah, they looked great, and there is the handmade thing, but I have never had a problem personally with guitars cut out by machine. A machine is FAR more accurate than human hands. And being shaped or sanded by hand is not magic, it does not put some mysterious better tone in the guitar.

If a vintage guitar sounds better, it is probably more due to better woods being used than being handcrafted. Companies today do use cheaper wood in order to compete, this is probably the biggest difference. But electronics like pickups are far more advanced than those of 50-60 years ago.

Save a ton and buy a mid priced guitar. They sound as good as the high-end ones, maybe not as pretty that's all.

My 2 cents.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

But then again plenty of people are seduced by the name, hence Gibbys and US Fenders having a greater pull than MIJMIM Fenders, Tokai, PRS or Ibanez axes! And there are plenty of people willing to pay good money to make it look like they've had a guitar for years!

Having said that I still can't work out how a relic guitar can be returned due to a blemish?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

(Someone must have said this above) Theory: A blem relic is one that is too new looking, i.e., not quite reliced enough.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I will pay if they make it left-handed. :P (I always have this point in my armour)

But to be serious, its 3000 $ down the drain. Getting a 1000 $ MIA would be better, imo. Not to offend any vintage collectors.

I've gotta agree with Rahul.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Who would pay that kind of money for a BLEM??

Not me! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Depends what is imperfect, that they call it a blem. If the decal is twisted or part is missing, it's not something that would be seen as part of any relicing process, so would warrant the blem tag. Same with imperfect chroming, bubbled paintwork or whatever.

I still wouldn't pay for anything that was artificially "reliced" - if it's going to get damaged, I want to be the one responsible.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2