Clear all

Drums...drums...drums.

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'd figure I'd put this here, though it might get moved(not sure where it'd go anyways).

Well, I've been making a song you know, I have the guitar recorded, and I'm gonna try to record some bass by having the way let all the low notes out, and just playing on the E and A strings of my guitar.

But at the same time, I really want to add some drums. I've been looking all over for a great downloadable drum machine, or whatever you may call it. I can't seem to find one that I'm looking for.

Well, if anyone has any recommendations for one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Kevin

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Try Hammerhead - http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/

Folks here at GN have used it. It can be used to make simple drum loops and takes relatively less time.

You can google - drum software, drum machine etc to have more options.

ReplyQuote
(@tuna-melt)
Trusted Member

Well as for downloadable im not sure. Maybe fruity loops, but I'm not sure if you're looking for something free. As for actual drum machines I'd reccomend the Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-880. I hear it's great although obviously expensive. I'm not sure how much quality your looking for whether it's going to be a serious recording or not but I plan on doing a whole album with this (when I get $500 extra...). There's also lower end models at http://www.musiciansfriend.com/perc/navigation/drum-machines-electronic-drum-machines?N=100001+304771 depending on how detailed you want to get or if you just want something to test what the real drums would sound like.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Rahul- I'll have to check that program out. I did search for that. But all I got were these crappy online things where you can't really "create" a beat, just click one button at a time, etc. Thanks.

Tuna Melt- I wish I had that spare money, haha. Good luck with that. :)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Good luck with the search. That sounds like a great project. :)

I had similar ideas a while back, but didn't complete the task yet. :( When I started to look into it there turned out to be a lot more to putting together a good drum track than just hitting something a few times. :? The drum machine I looked at had around 500 preset tracks and numerous ways of building or programming your own. I started looking through it all and quickly realised that I had very little idea of exactly what, why or how I really wanted to create for the track. :oops: So I put it on the back burner for a while longer, until I can give it the sort of time it deserves. We have a cheap set of drums here (my son likes to give them a belting now and then) but neither of us have yet looked through the "Teach Yourself Drums" book..... tut.. tut.....

If you can't find what you need then maybe you could try at one of the other forum sections and see if anybody here with a drum machine could record a backing track for you, if you can specify more or less what you're after? Just a thought - might not fly. You might also find that it's easier to start with the drum track first and re-record the guitar. Unless your timing is absolutely perfect you may not have much luck trying to fit a 'mechanically made' drum track to it afterwards.

Good luck with it anyway. Like you, I'd like to work my way to having the knowledge, skill and gear to be able to put together complete songs from drum and bass, through to rhythm and lead, with even some singing. I think I'm still about a decade off target yet... :roll:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Another vote for HammerHead.
I use it as a metronome. A really cool metronome.

Be sure to grab several of the "user banks" of alternate sounds while you're downloading it. The default sounds are a bit too hip-hop for my taste (just my taste), but there are some nice acoustic drum sounds available.

What it can't do is fills and stuff like that, but for anything from a straight rhythm to a 16 beat pattern, it works great.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I use Groove Agent, thought it's not free. If you want and recorded to a clicktrack I can add the drums for you, just drop a PM.

ReplyQuote