14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I don't know where this belongs - just felt like sharing

I have this fender accoustic guitar. I bought it for my first salary, I think 17 years ago. Fender have never made great accoustics I know. I'm sure there are better sounding guitars out there. But it has just become an important part of my life. The neck feels like it is made for me. I know it so well - we're like old friends - or even sweet hearts :oops:

But I have neglected it - service wise I mean. It gets its fair share of playing time, but I just change strings once in a while and that's it. Today I decided it was time for "Ric's Olive Oil Treatment". And then I realised that time has left its mark on the frets:

We've grown older together :lol:

Think I will have to do something to that. And I think I will install a transducer too. That's probably half the way to a new guitar (Taylor maybe??) but - heck, I have to do it - can't abandon an old friend just like that, can I?

New strings and clean fretboard :mrgreen:
The kids got a small private Dylan concert at bed time today :-)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Nice looking guitar, looks like a mahogany top.

I've got some fret notches like that on my Epi Blues Master. Not as bad as yours.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yeah, very nice guitar! I like the marks on the frets... Currently some people pay lots of money for the new "relic" versions. This is an authentic "relic"! :wink:

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes it's a mahogany top. korean made :oops: (reissue of the 65-71? Newporter)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

35 year old wood probably sounding mighty fine.

So, you gonna tackle the fret job?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I know how you feel, I have a few like that.

To be honest, if you didn't notice the fret wear until you cleaned the fretboard and didn't notice any problems playing it, I don't see any reason to do any thing about it until it becomes a problem. Then maybe a releveling job will fix it. If not, then a refret on just the ones that are worn shouldn't be too expensive.

Cool guitar and it has history! :) I'd do it!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

True - it doesn't really cause any problems - yet - and I will definitely not do it myself! Have to bring it in - and since I have exactly nothing to spend on guitars right now I'll have to wait anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

Wow Lars,

You can really tell that your guitar is well-loved! She's really pleasing to the eye too.

I know a guy who plays for a band called the "Almost Brothers," whose Tele's frets look just like those on your acoustic. He doesn't have any problems though. It's amazing to me that those kind of pits don't cause issues sometimes.

Yep, you just can't abandon faithful old friends like that.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Lars,

I'm one that likes the weathered look, never did like shiny pretty guitars..for some reason they don't scream rock n roll to me, but a guitar that looks like it's been through the wars now that's a guitar.

Unless it really is unplayable or uncomfortable to play I'd leave it as is.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Very cool, Lars.

I'd say you are doing the right thing!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Nice guitar !

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Very nice to have that comfortable feeling eh? You know you can't ever get rid of the guitar right?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@chepegt)

Awesome and really valuable... It's totally worth the job.
Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Definately a keeper. 8) Looks like Mr. Zappa approves as well. :wink: If the frets don't bother you, I'd leave them as is.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote