Clear all

A Little Kindness

22 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My son just turned 15. I took double doses of my meds and allowed him to have a small party, as in under 10. First cool thing of the evening. He invited his friends from school, and a few of our older friends from his extended family that is our motorcycle riding club. Ended up with more than 20, but the kids were in one room and the adults far off in another.

Did I mention double-dosing my meds? It works.

OK, so next thing I know is that one of my amps is suddenly in use. I rush upstairs to find the smallest 9th grader in Wake County jamming away on my Epi LP, Ibanez Tube Screamer and Fender Blues Deluxe. Come to find out, he's been jonesing the LP for some time. He brought in what he played. It was one of those 3/4 starter things with messed up tuning pegs and a plug-in that did not work. He had no amp, so no reason to fix it. Also come to find out, is that everything he was playing was totally made up. Didn't even know the Em chord.

So, he was one of the kids that stayed over that night. In the morning I tore his guitar apart, fixed his plug in issue and found an old 10W, 2 channel Yamaha starter amp to give him. Also found a beginner's book that I didn't need anymore.

So, it's March and I dun my good deed for the year....BUT WAIT!! There's more!

When I first started playing 4 years ago, a buddy of mine had an accoustic. I'd leave my Ibanez turned way down and we'd attempt to play together. Time went on and we each got better. He even got a Strat, but never did get an amp other than that 10 watter I mentioned before. Unfortunatly, his life turned to crap and he stopped playing and hanging around. Maraige, career, finances and kids quadruple whammied this poor dude. He's still going through the wringer and will be for some time. Fast forward to a few nights ago. He stopped by and all of a sudden we were doing some light jamming. We had not done that on well over a year when he informed me that he would not be able to for personal reasons. Such fun having my old buddy back. The good deed? Well, I had a Roland Cube 30 laying around as the odd amp out, so I let him "borrow" it indefinatly.

I'm such a nice guy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Props man, that's a kewl story. I'm planning on slowly (i.e. as and when I can afford it, lol) getting into building guitars, but I have a thing where I can't sell them - I hate the idea of it going to some random person and getting mistreated or summat. Anyways, as I start building them, I'm gonna have way too many, so I might take your lead and find people to off-load them to who'll appreciate it.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Good on ya Roy,

The gift really is in the giving....

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Good Job! :) The world could use more kind folks like yourself.
I like to extend myself like that as well & do good deeds; Problem with me is, many times it comes back to bite me in the butt... Oh well... :oops:

At least I felt good helping out at the time!

My son just turned 15 too, but he is more interested in "Guitar Hero" for the PS2... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Props to you Roy! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

What goes around, comes around...
may you reap 10 fold bro.

not too wild about you double dosing tho, sounds like a bad idea in the long run.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Very cool 8) It is a great feeling to help someone out---check out this site http://www.freecycle.org .
It is another cool site to help people out :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Cool stuff.
Now the kid HAS to write a song about you, get famous and tour the world!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Kudo's Brother... May "What you send out to the world, return back 7-fold in kind."

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Feels good, don't it! I did the same thing about a month ago... You can find my post here about it.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice one, Roy! From now on I'm going to think of you as a musical prophet, spreading the gospel through charitable acts!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah Sid, I remember the story well. You had to set up his el-cheapo and gave him a book to get started with.

Yeah Everyone, it does feel good. My buddy needed a good gesture thrown his way for sure, and my son's friend is enjoying making electric noise. He'll be better than me at some time soon. The kid's got such a good ear.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

Just be careful with those meds... Take it from me :wink:

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you did a good thing.

I have given away guitars twice. they have good homes and really made a difference in a couple of young peoples lives.
helps me feel better when I have bad days.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Since everyone is in such a SHARING mood...
I could use a 12 string.. :D
I mean, I REALLY NEED a 12 string.
Really, really, really,really,really, need it

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2