Clear all

A present? For me?

22 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So, yesterday was my birthday, and today I get a package from UPS sent from Musician's Friend. Big box, about the size of a guitar. Inside is one of these babys:

I had been seriously thinking of getting a Squier '51, but had been resisting the temptation, as I'd been saving for a hollowbody, (Ibanez Artcore or Epi, something like that). While looking around on MF's site one day last week, and almost ordering a '51 a couple of times, I had stumbled across the Oscar Schmidt OE-30. They have it on clearence for $129. It looked pretty decent, and had good reviews, but I decided I'd better think about it a bit more because I didn't know too much about them. We'll, my son & I talk about guitars because he plays too, and he went and ordered it for me. Now is that a good boy or what?! :D :D :D :D

I've been playing it for awhile through my Epi Valve Jr 8) , and it is a really nice guitar. Great finish, full body binding - top & back, no sharp frets, nice neck, good sounding pick ups, (Washburn 423 in the bridge, & 421 in the neck - Don't know anything about them, but they're nice), Grover tuners - not bad, not bad at all. The action is alittle higher than I usually like, but I might leave it there for some slide guitar playin'. It's called the "Delta King", and it gets some sweet blues tones! 8)

So to sum up; guitar = good 8) , kid = one of the good ones :D :D 8) 8) :wink: , Dad = :D :D :D :D !

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Very Cool... and Happy Birthday :):):):)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Definetly sounds like a great birthday present....Happy Birthday!

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

That is a great kid - his parents must have rasied him well! :-)

Very cool present indeed - I don't think we have Oscar Schmidts here in Norway - or else I would have considered one myself

AND "[E7]I'm glad it's your birthday [A] Happy birthday to you"

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Cool looking axe man! Congrats!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

A belated happy birthday, and a slightly more current congrats!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Congrats! Happy Birthday :D
i have the OE-30 in black as well.
MF has the epi dot or 335 cases on sale now and then that fit it very nicely.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Dan, you da man!!!!

That is an awesome looking guitar. Very, very cool.

How old is your son? Have you checked your credit card bill yet? :wink:

Congratulations on the latest member of the G-family.

Now you'll need some accessories....another guitar stand, new strap, shipping box to send it to your old buddy Bish.... :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Dan man, you're killing me here. It's my birthday today, and I'm wanting a semi-hollow like something fierce.

That's one beatuiful guitar man. You've got a great son.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Sweet looking guitar. Congrats and happy birthday.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Very, very cool! We expect to hear some online jams using that bad boy! Your son dun good! :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

D'ya reckon he'll buy one for me too?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! :D

Paul - Happy 18th Birthday to you bud!! 8) 8) 8)

TwistedLefty - Thanks for the heads up on the cases. Hey, now we can start a Delta King Club! :D

Bish - Sorry bud, you had your chance to snag this one from me. It came right through the Quad Cities on it's way home from Kansas! :lol: It likes it's new home up here in Wisconsin. :wink: My son is 11. He got some help ordering it from MF, but paid for it from his own money. I think I'll put $130 back in his account though, because even though he's saved up to over $300 from his allowence & report card money, the gesture was enough present for me, and that's alot of money for a little kid. Don't get me wrong though - I'm keeping the guitar too! :D

Jason - Don't worry, I'll be using this one on some jams for sure! 8)

Alan - I'll ask, but he's pretty tight with his money. Always stashing every dollar in the bank. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. :wink: :lol:

8)
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Wow! That's a big, big thing for an 11 year old to do. The fact that he not only saved up $300 (what do you pay that kid? :)) but used some of it to buy his Dad a great present just speaks volumes about his character! Kudos to him! (And kudos to you for appreciating the effort and giving his money back! :))

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2