Skip to content
acoustic going elec...

Notifications
Clear all

acoustic going electric (getting started with pickups/mics)

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I've recently started learning acoustic guitar and was thinking of doing something to let me record from it. Since my guitar is a £100 Ibanez beginner's model and I haven't been playing that long I'm not quite ready to get hold of a Fishman or Seymour Duncan pickup, this is just to play around with.

What I'm looking at is a sound hole pickup sold by JHS/Guitar Tech, it's not quite the absolute bottom of the market; there are some extremely cheap things on Amazon.
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0420270/details.html

I doubt anyone has experience of this particular one, but generally should I expect a cheap sound hole pickup to be tolerable? Should I expect a magnetic pickup to have a more 'electric' sound than a piezo based one? Would I just be better with a microphone or altogether just waiting till I'm more definite about what I want and happy to buy one of the more upmarket models?

(And thankyou to everyone running Guitarnoise, it's been very useful, David Hodge's lessons in particular, and I'm looking forward to the Idiot's Guide to Guitar coming in in Britain. Which, by the way, I think there should be a link beside the USA one for, because Amazon doesn't join them up...)

(@davidhodge)

Hi and welcome to Guitar Noise!

First off, going with a microphone is almost always better when it comes to recording acoustic guitars.

That being said, I can't vouch for the particular brand of pickup you're considering, but I do use a similar version made by the Bill Lawrence company:

http://www.billlawrenceonlinestore.com/#Original

Mine is an older version of the FT 145. And it just so happens that I used it to record the MP3s used in the latest lesson (Where Did You Sleep Last Night) if you need a sample of what it sounds like.

For just getting started and keeping in mind that you'll probably get something else down the road, this isn't a bad way to go. And if you find oyurself playing with a bunch of friends who all have electrics, at least you'll be able to hear yourself. But, as I mentioned, going with a microphone still may be your best bet, especially when it comes to recording.

Again, welcome to Guitar Noise. And thank you, by the way, for your kind words concerning my lessons. I look forward to seeing you around on the boards and we'll see what we can do about linking up with Amazon UK.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I was in a situation years ago after I went from electric to acoustic. I wanted more output from the acoustic. someone gave me one of those soundhole clip on pickups. it worked. no feedback either. how did it sound? louder.
the at pickup probably wasn't a very good pickup. I did like the sound of the guitar however.
a low end pickup is a start. if you think it is a direction to go then look at other types that are more expensive.
I am unfamiliar with brands. I did see acoustic pickups in this catalog.
www.stewmac.com

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi imalone - I would have spoken without looking at the link, that soundhole pickups IMO sound like an electric guitar. Except I looked anyhow, and go figure, I have the same one, marketed here as a Belcat, admittedly low-end. I bought it new because I thought... what the heck, got no faith in soundholes anyhow, and really wanted a DiMarzio humbucker, why waste the money, that's close to $150 here with tax! The pickup works, and it is a good beginning, which was said. Funny, it is actually one piece of gear that I have with me here, and I use it especially with a 12-string - I was going to give it away just because somebody asked for it, then sold this guitar; replaced it with a Cort and bought the proper Dean Markley Piezo with end pin jack for it, but looks as if the Cort is selling too. A Tacoma A/E came my way, luckily.

One thing to watch for - you might have to raise your action - loosen truss rod or shim saddle to get it to work without a string collision. I actually like the sound, and am not disappointed. When I was about to give it away, I nearly got a nice Markley Pro-Mag = that rectangular piece of wood for only $25, but read bad reviews and got answers here that it might be a dud. So that's why I got an undersaddle to install on the Cort instead. No matter, I can use this on my 12 string still.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

My earlier reply is in a moderation queue somewhere, so extra thanks to everyone who's replied in the meantime. I've got a pickup on the way (and a new slide), so will report back once I've seen how it goes.

ReplyQuote