Clear all

Acoustic Guitar In An Apartment

26 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I live in an older building and was wondering what options I had to make an acoustic guitar quieter. Honestly, I don't think the noise would be an issue as it's an Ovation Celebrity and isn't overly loud. However, I can't risk noise for reasons I won't go into so I'm wondering what my options are.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Buy a sound-hole mute (or feedback buster). I use one on stage to reduce feedback, but it also softens the sound, but not overly so.

You just put it into the soundhole.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

Isn't this the reason Wes Montgomery played with his thumb?

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Do they come in various sizes? My guitar has several small sound holes.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Tim (Musenfreund) is spot on. But that item for $15 and you are good-to-go! :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I've got a couple of old felt picks that also give a quieter softer sound. You don't see guitarists using them much but I believe some of the nylon string players (ukeleles??) use them. They're stiffer when new but soften up with use.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Buy a sound-hole mute (or feedback buster). I use one on stage to reduce feedback, but it also softens the sound, but not overly so.
You just put it into the soundhole.

I've been trying to find out what they are for a couple of weeks. I was watching an episode of 'West Wing' when they were on the campaign bus and a guitarist, I think it was Jon Bon Jovi,
was using one. I got the impression it was to mute the sound in such an enclosed space.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@henry-b)

Do they come in various sizes? My guitar has several small sound holes.
Yes I,ve seen them on ebay. :D

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

They are on ebay for about $10, just checked.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

Since you don't have a center hole Ovation, you may just need to stuff the holes with a small amout of cloth. Luckily you have a shallow bowl that won't produce as much sound as the mid or deep bowl ovations. Try the Ovationfanclub.com forums to see what they can come up with.

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

oh, you have one of those Hobbit holes Ovation. then you should stuff them with cotton cloth scraps. leave enough sticking out so you can retrieve them.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

You may also want to choose where you play and the direction that you face carefully. Pick a room away from others if you can. If you've got a corner apt then pick the room in the corner of your apt; if not then pick one in the centre of your apt. When you play face towards the outer wall away from the other units in the building.

I live in a townhouse and it's got some pretty good separation between units (double walls with insulation) but I've got my amp setup facing away from the shared wall and up on an amp stand (to limit vibrations into the floor). It helps.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I find that there is a huge difference in volume between playing with a pick and playing with your fingers. You can strum with just your thumb and index fingers instead of using the pick. So, in addition to any mechanical damping, you may want to try this as well.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I have a friend in Seattle who bought an isolation cube to play and record in. It's quite a rig!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Try using aluminum doors.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2