Skip to content
Acoustic Guitar On ...

Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic Guitar On A $500 Budget...Any Input?

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, I just started this guitar hobby, can barely play anything, and I already have GAS (or I am becoming a guitar Ho....as we would call it on the golf boards). I bought an extremely cheap guitar and I am very unhappy with it right now, especially after having tested a few other models on the next level up.

So, tomorrow, I am going to buy something a bit better. I have a budget of $500 on this purchase, but I will also need to get a case (and would not mind if I could score a tuner and humidifier while I am at it, but that would just be gravy).

I definitely want a solid top guitar. My favorite that I have tested so far is the Seagull S6+, because the large neck seems to fit my bigger hands and there seems to be a little more room between strings. Here are some guitars I am considering:

Seagull S6+ (obviously...maybe even an S6 or M6)
Simon & Patrick S6 (basically the same guitar as above)
Breedlove Atlas AD200SM
BlueRidge BR140 or 143

Those are the top contenders in my price range right now, leaving myself a bit of wiggle room for extras. There are a few others I might be able to squeeze in if I haggle a good deal. I also have an interest in some guitars by Garrison, Cort, and Tanglewood, but am uncertain about availability.

So, tomorrow I will test everything at any shop I can get to and make a decision. Do any of you have any suggestions of other guitars to consider, or any thoughts on those I already have in mind?

Also note that I am aware there are some fine guitars made by Washburn, Fender, Alvarez, Ibanez, and Tak (and a few others), but the number of models they sell is just tremendous. Reading reviews on all of these shows that opinions vary greatly from model to model, and it is difficult to remember which ones got good reviews and which were bad, which had solid tops versus laminated, etc. So, if you have a specific model in one of those worth looking at, give me a model number and I will see what the reviews look like and possibly give them a test run.

I was considering looking into a Sigma DM1ST, because they are Martin guitars, but I have heard mixed reviews on those as well. I am wondering whether a low-end Martin is really better than the Canadian-made Godin models.

As you have probably figured out, the Seagulls are an early favorite just due to comfort level and solid reviews I have seen on everything they make. But I am not ruling anything out at this point.

I would appreciate any input or advice you guys might have

Seagull M6 Gloss

(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

i highly reccomend the washburn d-10sce. I got it in about october. I played alot of guitars for around the same price. I looked at taks but my washburn sounds better than any 5oo$ tak....and even some of the 800 dollar ones....in canadian currency. But it is a very awesome guitar. good luck

Mikey

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I recommend the Martin DX1. Solid top, but laminated back and sides. $460. I'd die if I lost mine. I played it for someone once and they remarked that they couldn't afford a guitar over $1000 and were amazed when i said it was less than $500. And it's built like a tank. Perfect Martin construction

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Yup... seagull is the way to go IMHO, i got an M6 myself and its the best thing since longer lasting strings! But... what kind of music do you play? If you like something snappy and alive, go for a spruce top, if you like a more mellow tone, go for cedar top... and don't forget, in your pricerange you are getting your butt ripped off if you don'y walk out of the store with a SOLID TOP! Solid tops improve with age, so over time, your guitar will sound better. This is not the case with laminated tops, but you dont have to worry in that price range too much. Happy shopping! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You have a good list.

Let me throw two or three into the mix:

Fender DG-22s or DG-25s
Washburn D-25s, 26s, 28s

Those above are great flatpick/strumming machines.

If you want a fingerpicker/flatpicker go with the Breedlove.

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I also recommend Washburn - I recently purchased two D-34 Augusta Dreadnoughts. One standard with the Tobacco Sunburst finish and the cutaway version (D-34 SCE) for my son.

Both play and sound great - the best thing about them is this model has recently been discontinued and you can find them new on the web for less that $400. (original MSRP was approximately $800-899 USD).

Great buy - great play and great sound - can't miss. 8)

BS

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Investigate Alvarez too. When I bought my new acoustic, I was down to a choice between an Alvarez and a Washburn and chose the Alvarez.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Man i don't know what peeps have against Takamine guitars, i have a EG523SC (acoustic/electric) and it's a great buy for the money. it will cost you a little more than the 500 (american?) but mine sounds and plays better than any solid top washburns or martins near the price range. but i should say that like ANY other guitar you will find jewels and lemons. you need to play them or take someone you trust along with you.
btw the flame maple back and sides are really stunning :wink:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/src ="SearchDex/search/detail/base_pid/516302"

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, for anyone interested, I had a heck of a day today. I drove 90+ miles to Texarkana to check out an S6+ Spruce that the shop there told me they had. When I got there, not only did they not have it, but it is not even a model they carry. I tried out an M6 Gloss, and liked it, but they were too high on their price, in my eyes. Well, $450 with no case is not terrible, but I was already a little PO'd at these guys for making me drive so far when they did not have what I asked for. Anyway, the guitar was nice, but in my head there was no way I was buying from these guys.

So, I get home and start calling around. Seagulls are in short supply, apparently, and the guys who have them have jacked up their prices lately. Lynch Music had what I wanted on clearance for $287 or so, but were out when I got home and called them. Finally, I talked to a guy who had the M6 gloss at a good price. At first, I was going to do as someone else suggested and just buy a lower priced case elsewhere to save a bit of money. The guy was insistent that I would want a case for this guitar (he thinks highly of the M6), so he matched the lowest price I said I had seen on any case.

So, all told, I am getting a Seagull M6 with an SKB hardshell case for $425 shipped price. Not a bad deal. I might could have found a better deal overall somewhere had I kept looking, but this guy was super nice to deal with and helpful. I will give his name, business, and glowing feedback once I have the guitar in my hands and can check it out.

Seagull M6 Gloss

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

hey twisted lefty? i just tried that tak and my washburn kills it. It could be the strings sucked but for me...its was tinny.

Mikey

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Hey Slowfingers, where do you live in Texas? I live in Austin, and there are about 3 stores in the city who always have seagulls.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

hey twisted lefty? i just tried that tak and my washburn kills it. It could be the strings sucked but for me...its was tinny.

Mikey

not surprised really, i've heard several others state the same thing,
i bought mine right after it was announced as guitar of the year under 600 in the UK in some mag. suddenly everyone was on deep backorder.
i searched everywhere and finally found one at "Annie's Guitars" in Savannah GA. (Annie is the cousin of Greg allman).

anyway they set it up and put some nice strings on it so it played and sounded better than all the Martins, Washburns, and others i had tried in that price range. also the neck has beautiful inlays and it sounds even better plugged in. maybe i got lucky but im really glad i didn't settle on the X series Martin.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey Slowfingers, where do you live in Texas? I live in Austin, and there are about 3 stores in the city who always have seagulls.

I actually live in Shreveport, La. Austin would be a bit of a drive for me.

Seagull M6 Gloss

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i got my M6 about two years ago for $350 including tax, but no case. when i got a case months later i paid $90 for it. i think the guitar was priced alright, but the case I paid way to much for. it's a TKLhardshell case. as a sidenote: it's true they're are lemons in every brand. i got probably the only seagull that was defective. it had to be sent back to the company under the warrantly because the neck was warped. it case back with a new neck. i could tell because it has a different serial number on it.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

lol oops :roll: :oops:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2