Clear all

Acoustic set list suggestions

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I'm trying to put an acoustic set list together and i guess my tast is a bit grungy. I'm a big fan of playing songs that are usually associated with distortion etc when they work acoustically eg Plush by Stone Temple Pilots. So far my list consists of Jeff Buckley, STP, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Smiths, New Order, Radiohead etc.

I am really trying to steer clear of things like House of the Rising Sun and other really cliched classics.... Anyone got suggestions in a similar theme to my other stuff???

Thanx.

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Hey jwishart77, welcome to guitarnoise! If you're style is grunge, don't forget Nirvana(not including Smells Like Teen Spirit) 8) . They have alot of cool sorta acoustic stuff, like Heart Shaped Box, and All Apologies. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

you mentioned Radiohead so obviously Creep and Fake Plastic, maybe try to slip in Bulletproof, I love playing that acoustic.

Thumbing My Way by PJ sounds awesome acoustic

If you feel like stirring it up a little bit and enjoy Dylan, throw in Knockin On Heaven's Door or Masters of War.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to put an acoustic set list together and i guess my tast is a bit grungy. I'm a big fan of playing songs that are usually associated with distortion etc when they work acoustically eg Plush by Stone Temple Pilots. So far my list consists of Jeff Buckley, STP, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Smiths, New Order, Radiohead etc.

I am really trying to steer clear of things like House of the Rising Sun and other really cliched classics.... Anyone got suggestions in a similar theme to my other stuff???

Thanx.

Which New Order and Smiths tunes are you doing?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

True Faith by New Order

Hand In Glove, Boy With A Thorn In His Side, and There Is A Light... by the Smiths... - tough to sing like Morrissey though! :?

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

jwishart

Do you know any good sources of Smiths tabs or songbooks? I'd love to learn some Smiths songs but I'm not good/patient enough to tab them out by ear.
Thanks.

Not sure what to suggest for you. A friend just played me "One" by U2 on acoustic and it sounded good.

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Check some Nirvana unplugged, and Green Day's 'time of your life'. Great songs to sing/play on your own.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Lake of Fire - Nirvana (Originaly by The Meat Puppets). It's on the MTV unplugged CD. It's easy and just plain kicks ---!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

jwishart

Do you know any good sources of Smiths tabs or songbooks? I'd love to learn some Smiths songs but I'm not good/patient enough to tab them out by ear.
Thanks.

Not sure what to suggest for you. A friend just played me "One" by U2 on acoustic and it sounded good.

Try here: Smiths Tab

jwishart how about some Bob Mould? Wishing Well, Black Sheets of Rain, Brazilia Crossed with Trenton or my personal favorite Hanging Tree.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Great - thanks! :D

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote