Clear all

Action Man

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ok , guys at gnoise , the question is this.Is action on classical guitars higher than an acoustic guitar.I play a classical (and that's a yamaha ) and sometimes feel at injustice as to the action.Man , my fingers sure hurt.Can we get it adjusted on a classical too?
Thanks for ur valuable advice , DUDE

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

john287in

You should be able to do something about that. Does your guitar have a truss rod? Perhaps it has too much relief. By tightening the truss rod in small degrees you should be able to lower the action.

You can also cut the grooves or slots in the nut a little deeper (careful!) if the action is very high at the first fret. Go very easy here. Just make small cuts.

You can also sand down your bridge (again, go slow). Mark the current depth with pencil on the side of the bridge. Put a cloth over the bridge, pull it out carefully with pliers. Maybe start with a small amount like 1/8" off the bottom. Mark it with a straight-edge and pencil. Sand the BOTTOM (the flat edge) of the bridge to the line. Then try it and see if it needs more. If you go in tiny steps you should be fine.

Do not sand the top of your bridge. The bottom straight edge only! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Classical guitars don't have truss rods cos the string tension doesn't warrant one. What I suggest is what Wes said. Try sanding down the bottom of the bridge. or deepening the nut slots, but don't do that unless you have to cos it's tricky. good luck!

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys but what is a truss rod.Can u gimme a diagram

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

A truss rod is typically in steel stringed guitars. It's a metal rod that runs the inside length of the neck to give extra support so that the neck doesn't collapse under the tension of the strings. The tension of the truss can be adjusted.

I don't have a diagram but if you look at a steel string acoustic and look inside at the base of the neck you will see a metal circle, kind of like a screw head that goes into the neck.

Hope that helps.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Truss Rods Explained - with piccies!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey is it necessary that classical guitar HAVE higher action than other guitars (folk, electric ) , because of their construction or what.Please clarify.Thanks

ReplyQuote