Notifications
Clear all

advice on next level guitar

23 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@danrobertson)
Eminent Member

Yeah I think the Tak I tried was badly setup or something because it just didn't feel right. Unplugged to me it felt like a nylon strung guitar which was weird and never bothered with it plugged in. Even then tho I would still go for the Seagull because in this particular instance it spoke to me more than any of the other guitars. Never really experienced this properly until this guitar (not with my Strat or my first guitar) but I left the shop after trying it and had the sweats because I knew I was gonna end up buying it, lol.

When you experience that you know its the right guitar for you!!! :)

One thing I noticed once I got home (because I'm still a bit of a guitar noob) was that it was in a completely different tuning to standard with more bass than normal. Wasn't DADGBE but it may have been some other drop tuning.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i'll put in my two cents for a seagull, too. the M6 is the ssame as the S6 except, as already mentioned it has mohagany sides and back. be careful though. I had to send my Seagull bacl to Canada after I bought it because the neck was warped. It should not have bee sold to me.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

IMHO, my seagull kicks butt WAY more than any low-end Martin or Taylor. When you are in the sub-1000 dollar range, you really are just paying for a brand name with a martin or taylor. Larrive, Breedlove atlas, and Tacoma are also great guitars for the money. Remember, try not to be hypnotized by fancy inlays and rosettes if you want good tone for the money.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@danrobertson)
Eminent Member

Just remembered another brand that is supposed to be pretty good and was considering myself...Tanglewood. The model I was looking at was the TW1000SR which had fancy bits on it and is supposed to be great bang for the buck.

They are quite highly recommended over here.

ReplyQuote
(@kwhman)
Topic starter  

I've considered a lot of advice and looked at a lot of web sites. I have decided to spend a little more and I'm going to buy a Larrivee D-05. I played a D-03 and D09 and really liked the mahogany sides and back. I'm sure there are better guitars out there but I had to play a $4400 Bourgois (sp) to find one - BTW if you are looking, my local dealer has a cocabolo (sp) body used and is asking $2500. Played great and looked new. I'm really excited about my choice and I plan to order one Monday.

Thanks for all teh advice - Steve in Ga :)

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Looking around at people's high opinions on Seagull guitars, it makes me want to go try one. I just wish there were more dealers in Utah...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^yeah... thats the bad thing about seagull, they dont have alot of dealers. In case you havent visited here yet, try this: http://www.seagullguitars.com/dealersut.htm (where do you live in Utah? I used to live in cedar city; its in SW Utah). Good thing I'm in austin, they have about 5 dealers in the city alone! The bad thing about Austin is you can never get any bargains, because even the pawn shops and fleamarkets know about what guitars are worth! :cry: Oh well, i guess ill be poor for the rest of my life!

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@jensen66)

I have the Breedlove Atlas series, solid spruce top, mahogany back and laminated mahogany sides, with electronics. The sound is incredible.

If you are looking for something under $1,000, you have to try it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2