Clear all

Ain't Nothing Better!

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My 12 year old son and I jammed and then learned about 1/2 of 'Honky-Tonk this afternoon (him on drums). What a blast. Of course, I had to turn up the amp to be heard through the drums. Nothing like noise. :D

Sure, we already do a ton of stuff together (motorcycles, baseball, cooking, etc), but this was quite different. Not sure why, but I ain't gonna waste time figuring it out. Just enjoying it.

Next Up? I think something by Linkin Park.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Nothing better in the world.
I work afternoon shift so I don't get to be with my kids as much as I like but I do look forward to jam sessions with my girls, one on guitar, one on keyboards and me.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yeah it's fun. I recorded a couple of original tunes with my daughter when she was 9 and 10 years old. One of them is buried deep in the Hear Here forum under Tweener Rock or similar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

rparker

That is fantastic. The family that plays together, stays together.

I have a friend like that. He plays guitar, his oldest son plays drums, and younger son the bass. They are darn good and used to gig regular a few years back.

Keep it up and get us a sound clip when you can.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I know what you're talking about. My 10 year old son and I play quite a bit. (both on guitars) Nothing like jamming out to some Green Day with your youngster to remind you of what's important in life. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'm on the other side of the generation gap: I've been playing guitar for a while, and my Dad played drums back when he was about my age. Now I'm slowly getting him back into it. I've loaned him my drums for a while, and he's starting to get his chops back.

Hopefully, in a few weeks we'll get together for the first ever father-son jam in our family. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't so excited I'm about to pop!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

that's all so cool

if i ask my dad, he'll be like, whats the point?

Even if it's something simple like the organ part in santana's flor d'luna, which is all whole notes.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hopefully, in a few weeks we'll get together for the first ever father-son jam in our family. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't so excited I'm about to pop!

That is just great to read. Get some pics when it happens :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Wes, a sound clip of me on a guitar would be frightening. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

ha ha. Great thread and nice story.

I have and always have had, the total opposite problem. My dad is pretty much uesless at anything i am good at - golf, guitar, cricket, you name it, he can't do it.

he's great at DIY though - whereas I am, errr, lacking in that department.

I can't see him learning to play electric guitar somehow...!!!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

ha ha. Great thread and nice story.

I have and always have had, the total opposite problem. My dad is pretty much uesless at anything i am good at - golf, guitar, cricket, you name it, he can't do it.

he's great at DIY though - whereas I am, errr, lacking in that department.

I can't see him learning to play electric guitar somehow...!!!

Matt

I'm kind of the same way. I'm a computers, electronics and guitar guy, and my dad is a golfer/ DIYer. We never got together to do much when I was growing up, but now we try to do something together every few weeks. Our latest projects are mixing his DIY skills with my hobbys: We are building a guitar from big chunks of wood (except the neck...I'm buying a neck), and this past Friday night, we stayed up late trying to figure out how to build a distortion pedal (yes, we had plans, no we didn't have all the parts we needed but we had passable substatutes, and yes, there is still a short to ground in the thing somewhere). He's got a love for bands like Boston, Van Halen, pretty much anything Clapton was in, and the list goes on. I never thought about it much until over the weekend, but he's actually influenced my music more than anyone else, and he doesnt even play. It was just what I heard when I was a little kid growing up...it was always on.

No, I dont care how good the pedals are, or how good the guitar sounds. I'll tell you right now though that I'm 26 years old, and I would have given anything to be doing with my dad what you guys are doing with your kids right now. They'll always remember it, and they'll always talk about how the 'old man' played stuff from the 1600's, but it was cool jamming with him. Keep it up, and always encourage them. I'm just glad that we've finally found some way to put what we have together so that we can do things like this.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

this thread has definitely rekindled my belief in human nature being a very positive thing. So great to read about so many people enjoying their Dad's company.

Its becoming a rareity guys, treasure it. Don't let your kids sit in their bedrooms with their PS2's and all that cr*p. Do things with them. You will never regret it.

If its not guitar, then take them down the pond fishing and talk to them.

They will treasure it always, as will you.

Heartwarming all this, I'm off for a good sob....

:wink:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Don't let your kids sit in their bedrooms with their PS2's and all that cr*p. Do things with them. You will never regret it.

My kid is into PS2. We have it set up in our bonus room, not his bedroom. My guitars are in the same room. We can be together and still do our own thing. My wife will join us often to hang and read. Yeah, it get's noisy, but it's worth it.

Gunslinger, that's an awesome story. I KNOW that he's treasuring this time with you more than you know.

mattguitar, I feel your pain. I'm the polar opposite of my father in those respects. Well, every respect I guess. :)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

As documented here in several places, as well as being the topic of several articles, we've always played music with our kids. There is nothing better. I'm so glad they put up with us long enough to do this.

I'm glad all of you are sharing in this great experience!

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

please no sound clips.

you fathers and sons sound great as is.

:wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2