Clear all

anchoring a finger

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

When I play this I instinctively preplace my index finger (figure is played 4x)

g---7-5-7-5-------
d-------------7-5---

I can cruise along fine this way, and I don't move my index until I change strings. However, when I pay it this way, I find I can't perform the exercise at the same tempo without lifting the index as I move from the A to the B notes:

g-----------5-7-------
d-5-7-5-7--------------

Is it more efficient in the long run to lift the fingers back and forth, or to anchor the index as the first example. I find its much easier to move them back and forth now, but what is best in the long run?

This may seem picky, but I'm spending many hours on a chops regimine and don't want to waste 5 months doing something which turns out to be inefficient :twisted:

:wink: M

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

Anchor your finger? Meaning you make a barre on the 5th fret right?? If thats what your asking thats a great question. I also wondered this too. I used to do that, but as I progressed with practicing scales it became more natural to not anchor my finger. The only time when I do is when I would, oh let's say 5h7, then hit the 5 a string above and keep rattling this off. Hopefully that makes sense, i'm bad at tabbing.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Anchor your finger? Meaning you make a barre on the 5th fret right??

Nope, that's not what he said.

Playing up the scale always seems to bring problems of lifting fingers. It's nothing to worry about for its own sake, but if you're going to be repeating notes then it will help if you get the hang of leaving it in place.

You're going to need to slow it down to almost painful levels, until you can play it through time after time without lifting. Go right down to 60bpm if you have to. Also, I'd change the exercise slightly so it becomes 5h7p5h7 on the 4th string and a 5h7 on the 3rd to finish. the hammer-on and pull-off might just get that finger hanging on to the 5th fret. Then increase the tempo oh so slightly. Like most other speed-based exercises, once you've got it nailed at (say) 80 bpm, slow it down to 70 bpm again and watch it all fall apart. Build up to 90 bpm, slow down to 80 bpm, build up to 100 bpm and so on; until you can do it comfortably at the speed you're after.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I agree 100% with Alan, anchoring your finger for repeat notes will make your life easier in the long run.

Here's another way you can run that excersize to get you use to anchoring as you move down the fret board. As Alan pointed out start slow 60bpm, and work up speed without sacrificing playing it clean

-----------------------------------------------------------------12-10-12-----------------------------------------------12-9-12-9-------11------------------------------------------9-7-9-7----11----------11-9--------------------------------7-5-7-5-----9---------9/7---------------------------- -----7-5-7-5-----7----------7/5------------------------------------------
8------------8/5---------------------------------------------------------

I just can't get this darn tab to post correctly

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

You're going to need to slow it down to almost painful levels, until you can play it through time Also, I'd change the exercise slightly so it becomes 5h7p5h7 on the 4th string and a 5h7 on the 3rd to finish. the hammer-on and pull-off might just get that finger hanging on to the 5th fret.

No, if I do it like that, legato style, then its no problem at all and I can cruise right along. Its just if I try to tremolo pick back and forth, I run into problems. It seems to happen if I start it on a downstroke more than if I start on an upstroke

D--5-7-5-7--------- Tough
D U D U

D--5-7-5-7------ Easy
U D U D

Smokin dog, yep this isn't the best place to post tab :)

I can't seem to get the first example to sync up. The second one I can do 16ths @ 160+ bpm, but the other one I either foul up or get "switched up" and end up doing it like the second example.

I think I may be pushing too far down on the downstroke in relation to the upstroke, which would cause sync problems.

Its a minor thing, I know. I posted at a shred forum and they pretty much said not to worry about it. "Paul Gilbert went though the same thing," or something. I just think this is affecting other parts of my playing negatively, so.....

While I'm on the subject, if I'm just ascending up a pentatonic scale (no trilling like above) I lift the finger as I move on. Since you are ascending this seems to be the most logical, does that make sense.
Again, I probably sound like a nut, but its weird how you don't notice these small little nuances of your playing until you really pick your technique apart. I'm kind of embarassed to even be asking this. :oops:

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

You're going to need to slow it down to almost painful levels, until you can play it through time Also, I'd change the exercise slightly so it becomes 5h7p5h7 on the 4th string and a 5h7 on the 3rd to finish. the hammer-on and pull-off might just get that finger hanging on to the 5th fret.

No, if I do it like that, legato style, then its no problem at all and I can cruise right along. Its just if I try to tremolo pick back and forth, I run into problems. It seems to happen if I start it on a downstroke more than if I start on an upstroke

D--5-7-5-7--------- Tough
D U D U

D--5-7-5-7------ Easy
U D U D

teleplayer, yep this isn't the best place to post tab :)

I can't seem to get the first example to sync up. The second one I can do 16ths @ 160+ bpm, but the other one I either foul up or get "switched up" and end up doing it like the second example.

I think I may be pushing too far down on the downstroke in relation to the upstroke, which would cause sync problems.

Its a minor thing, I know. I posted at a shred forum and they pretty much said not to worry about it. "Paul Gilbert went though the same thing," or something. I just think this is affecting other parts of my playing negatively, so.....

While I'm on the subject, if I'm just ascending up a pentatonic scale (no trilling like above) I lift the finger as I move on. Since you are ascending this seems to be the most logical, does that make sense.
Again, I probably sound like a nut, but its weird how you don't notice these small little nuances of your playing until you really pick your technique apart. I'm kind of embarassed to even be asking this. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry about the double post, something messed up with the server.......

ReplyQuote