Skip to content
Anyone learn anythi...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone learn anything new over the past weekend?

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@saturnthegiant)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been home off work the last three days and i decided i would try to have a guitar in my hand as much as possible. I work nights so i stay up late at home, so i kept my electric in my hands, unplugged, and while watching tv or whatever and just tried to sit and strum and see what i came up with. I was a big fan of KISS as a teen, so i thought i'd try a few of their songs. I managed to pick up the into to "Rock Bottom", always loved that song but just had bever tried to play it. I even managed to figure out most of the lead. I also learned the basic chord structure for "Black Diamond" and "God of Thunder".

A lot of their songs are fairly simple, although Ace Frehley's leads can be pretty complex on some songs.

What are you guys working on learning?

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Over the last weekend I worked on several songs that I listed here : Click Me

Along with:

Hell on the Heart - Eric Church

Easy Come Easy Go - George Strait

Crazy Little Thing Called Love- Queen

Mary Jane's Last Dance- Tom Petty

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I've been working on:-

One - Metallica (the intro not the solo!)
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Wild Thing - The Troggs

Did have a play with sweet child of mine, but it seemed to hold no resemblance at all to the original!

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member

i learned two songs....

wake up dead by megadeth

NIB by black sabbath

ReplyQuote
(@saturnthegiant)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been working on:-

One - Metallica (the intro not the solo!)
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Wild Thing - The Troggs

Did have a play with sweet child of mine, but it seemed to hold no resemblance at all to the original!

If you haven't already, try "Mama Said", it's kinda easy, and a fave of mine to play. I can play One most of the way through, and i gave Nothing Else Matters a shot a few times, i hope to return to that one again. Today i'm going to go acoustic and mellow and work on "the Hand Song" by Nickel Creek, 'cause my little girl wants to sing it. I've been playing it for the past couple months and almost have it down, it's really just a repeating acoustic run, the leads are done on mandolin by Chris Thile. My daughter also like to sing "Ode to my Family" by the Cranberries, so i like to play it for her too, when i'm not in a more aggressive, electric guitar mood! LOL

ReplyQuote
(@saturnthegiant)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i learned two songs....

wake up dead by megadeth

NIB by black sabbath

Heck yeah, love me some Sabbath!

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member

i know sabbath is insane, i know most of there songs and there not that hard but they sound really cool and are fun to play

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

What did I learn this week?

Not to go into a concert under-rehearsed, which I feel I did yesterday - that's what. I got re-booked on the spot, which is always nice, but I really think I ought to have worked harder in the run-up to this gig.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

If you haven't already, try "Mama Said", it's kinda easy, and a fave of mine to play. I can play One most of the way through, and i gave Nothing Else Matters a shot a few times, i hope to return to that one again. Today i'm going to go acoustic and mellow and work on "the Hand Song" by Nickel Creek, 'cause my little girl wants to sing it. I've been playing it for the past couple months and almost have it down, it's really just a repeating acoustic run, the leads are done on mandolin by Chris Thile. My daughter also like to sing "Ode to my Family" by the Cranberries, so i like to play it for her too, when i'm not in a more aggressive, electric guitar mood! LOL

Thanks I'll give that a go - I could do with something easy, I've not been playing long and most stuff is far too complicated for me at the moment!

I get stuck about 9 bars in on Nothing else matters, as I can't seem to get my hand to stretch for this note:-
X

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep! How wonderful one of the first Epiphone Valve Juniors, which came with a few deficiencies, sounds after making some simple and inexpensive corrective mods. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I learned most of "The Bare Necessities" fingerstyle, and have been playing that every hour for at least 10 minutes here and there. What I've learned the most though, is that short bursts of intense practice while really concentrating is a lot better than the last 3 months of just playing with what I know. Hopefully I'll keep up the enthusiasm well into another few disney songs.

I also learned that I prefer to work through things from a real book, rather than computer or DVD. At first the DVDs I owned were brilliant, but its become increasingly aparent that I simply don't use spare time to watch DVDs and the missus won't let me take over the TV all night lol.

I also learned never to give your poorly son medicine he doesnt like while wearing your freshly ironed white work shirt. He might only just know his colours by name, but he definitely doesn't forget the link between the orange colour and the taste! :)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Anyone learn anything new over the past weekend?
Being under the desk and hitting your head in the precise spot where two surgeries where performed is really painful.

I did it three times. ARGHH!!!!

OK, seriously, I have been looking at my new Accoustic Guitar White Pages over the weekend and decided that I should hit You Tube up for each song that I don't know by sight. It was actually a longer rask than I thought it would be. I marked the ones I liked, but could not remember them the next day with guitar in hand. so, I learned that I should just do one song at a time. That's what I'm doing right now. I narrowed it down to two, and am playing them to see which one I do first. It's a band that call themselves "Goo Goo Dolls" playing a song entitled "Iris". The other song is by a band called "The Calling" and a song entitled "Wherever You Will Go". So what did I learn, officially? Keep trying new stuff and let the occasional gems fall into you lap.

I think the Calling's song is winning.

Anyone else do that? Just surf youtube with a list in hand to see what inspires you to learn something new?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Oh, and I can make a noise like the ping that starts off Pink Floyd's song, "Echoes". No, it's not exact, but close enough that my darling wife recognized it. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I learned that I have serious trouble practicing when there's a world cup on. :roll:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

That you never try to manage two large checked bags on the airport escalator, be smart and use the elevator. :(

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2