Notifications
Clear all

Arranging Songs For Single Guitar

24 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Report: I like the Boss RC-2 looping pedal I bought--but as someone said (I believe) earlier, it has one major flaw: You can't erase a recorded loop without having a few seconds of it play back. This is not fatal, as one can either turn down the PA (if it's within reach) or bend down and switch to a different channel. STILL, it's an odd design decision, it seems to me, as it makes using the loop station live a challenge. :?

Best,
Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Ok - so I see there is a consensus on loop pedal as the way to go. Good.

I've never tried one, but I see the attraction of it.

However - I will not give up the promotion of the Harp ! :lol:

The reason for my renewed interest is today's cool experience: I realised that it is possible to play almost note for note the entire guitar solo after the first verse on PF's Time on the harmonica (A harp to F#m). I thought this was kinda cool as it seems, with a song with more than 3 chords you are almost determined to miss out some important notes with the harp. But on Time it can work very well. And I believ an accoustic solo version of it is not to freqeuntly played. In fact it is a very handy song to ave up the sleeve in any above-20 birthday party :-))

Not to brag - just to illustrate this amazing experience :wink: of course I had to do a quick recording

As usual I have not practiced - just plug and play :lol:

http://6-string.net/music/time.mp3

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

all i can say is Wow.
That is really kewl Lars
i'm going to move Harp up higher on my list of stuff to learn

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Yes, Lars, that's really quite good! Did you simply teach yourself the harmonica? I've tried, but it's been frustrating for me. I have trouble with the alternating breath thing, and I find the harmonica holder awkward--either it's in my way when I sing or I have to crane my neck to get to the harp.

But all of my folky guitar heroes are harp players, so I know I have to get there eventually. Love the sound!

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Lars, that was great.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Lars, that sounded really good. One thing though, I don't know if it was my playback (laptop speakers) but the vocals sounded a bit too quiet.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

gosh - thanks guys - no intention of stealing your thread tho' Roy.

JJ - obviously it takes some practice - I'm completely self taught (apart from listening to Dylan most of the time over the past 15 years...) - but I have been playing Trombone and Tuba earlier - dunno f that helps the breathing.
Actually I started out with a book many years ago, but I never got the hang on it, and I left it for some yars. Then I started listening to Dylan and thought - that doesn't sound too hard :roll:

I'd say go ahead start playing some tunes you know just to get the feeling of which notes you can play and where they are. There are not that many holes on a harp - and you will learn eventually where the notes are, which of them are bendable etc. Just do it! And the neck holder IS kinda akward :-)

I'd be more than happy to try and help - my PM is over there :arrow:

And the stuido setup was kinda rapidly done. Couldn't find my mic rack(?) so I just put the mic lying on the table beside me...

HARP TO THE PEOPLE
lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

- no intention of stealing your thread tho' Roy.

Seems to me that it's right on topic.Single guitar arrangements....with a good twist. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

One other thing I've noticed. Over the past few weeks as I've concentrated a little bit on doing entire songs - better, I've been paying a lot more attention to the whole arrangement that I did. I make sure I have the intro, something towards the instrumental and outro/ending all down. Not just the verses and choruses. I used to just jump right in.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2