B + Muted Strings = Frustration!!!

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@stjames1759)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

OK, this is actual two separate issues.

The first is the B chord. I know the obvious answer is practice, practice and more practice. But I feel like my hand and fingers just won't physically form the chord. I was wondering if people could share some methods they used to being able to play this chord.

The second issue is I recently bought a Taylor 310 and have noticed I'm the first string when I change to G. I also cannot play G using my middle, ring, and pinky anymore, because I mute the A string with my ring finger. This was never a problem with my old guitar. And occasionally, if I'm not careful will mute the A string with my middle finger when playing Gadd5. Is it normal to expect changes like this when you get a new guitar? Maybe I'm just noticing things on this guitar that I've done all along. The sounds of the Taylor is great, but it seems like my playing was better when I was my cheapo. Maybe it needs adjustments? Or maybe my playing needs adjustments?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Apart from practice try this: just bar the D G + B strings at the fourth fret and miss out the A string or mute it with the tip of your index finger.

As for the G : play the G note on the E string with your middle finger,easier and quicker to change to other chords especialy C + F as your fingers are already in the correct shape.

hope this helps. If I've got the wrong end stick ,then please ignore my ramblings.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

As for the G : play the G note on the E string with your middle finger,easier and quicker to change to other chords especialy C + F as your fingers are already in the correct shape

Actually, it's the ring finger that puts the hand in the correct shape for the C and F chords - the way stjames is doing it now.

The problem with the A string muting is probably related to the radius of the fretboard, the width of the neck, or maybe even the shape and size of the guitar body... if you could fret it cleanly before, and you're hitting the A string now, the angle of attack of your ring finger has changed with this guitar, and it's leaning 'down' more - dampening the A string.

To get it clean, you'll have to adjust position. The thing to remember is that there are three neck angles that affect your ability to fret a note cleanly:

1. the angle of the neck across your body (keeping the headstock high)

2. the angle of the neck away/towards your body - hold the guitar in position, then move your fretting hand straight out away from you and you'll see what I mean by this. The closer it is to your body, the better the angle of approach you'll get on the bass strings... and the worse you'll get on the treble strings

3. the angle of the face of the guitar in relation to your body. The more face you can see when you play, the worse the angle for the bass strings

Finding the right position to play everything cleanly is a delicate balance of these three things. Since it's a new guitar to you, I'm guessing (totally guessing!) that you need some slight correction in plane #3. You've got a new guitar you're getting used to, so you want to see the strings as you play them... and the really nasty thing about correcting that plane is that when you hear a mistake in tone, your natural inclination is to lean the guitar even more so you can see what's going wrong - which only makes things worse!

The adjustments to each of these three aspects of position are small ones. Finger the chord, and look at your fretting hand (you may need a mirror for adjusting plane 3). Move it slowly in each direction, and see how the angle of your fingers changes slightly as you move. When you think you're getting close to a good position, then look at the angle of your little finger - you want the last joint of that one coming nearly straight down at the fretboard if your hand size will allow it. Find the right position for you, and then practice it until it feels natural.

Let us know how it goes!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

As for the G : play the G note on the E string with your middle finger,easier and quicker to change to other chords especialy C + F as your fingers are already in the correct shape

Actually, it's the ring finger that puts the hand in the correct shape for the C and F chords - the way stjames is doing it now.

Sorry my mistake ,I've got my wedding ring on my middle finger cos it keeps falling off my ring finger.Should have picked up my guitar to check me fingers!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@stjames1759)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Noteboat,

Thanks for the advice. Right after I posted my thread, I noticied that I was holding the guitar really close to my body and looking at the strings like you mentioned. Partly because I've been practicing barre chords and I think I've been pulling the guitar closer when I execute them. And also, as you mentioned, the more I heard a string mute or buzz, the more I turned the guitar to look at the strings.

I play G both ways, depending on what the transition is. Still having trouble playing with middle, ring and pinky though. I think the fretboard may just be a little wider than my old guitar. I'll keep practicing it both ways anyway, who knows.

Any advice for working on B? I've been trying it by barring the second fret, then using my middle, ring and pinky for the strings on the 4th fret with no luck. And I've tried the double barre thing with my index and ring finger. I can't get my ring finger to barre all three strings though. I'm sure I'll get it with practice and laugh about it when I finally get like ( like bloody Fmaj ), but it always looks so dark from this side of the learning process.

Thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Glad I could help....

For the B, I play it three ways: most often with the ring finger partial barre (no shortcuts here, practice will allow you to eventually get it with the first string clean), and with 2-3-4 instead of the barre.

The thing is, I never use 2-3-4 with the barre. We all have to work within our physical limitations, and although I can play the chord with a barred first finger, the angle of my hand makes change to other chords very difficult. When I use 2-3-4, I use it as a four string chord, in one of these two ways:

-x-3-
-5-5-
-5-5-
-5-5-
-3-x-
-x-x-

The one I choose depends on the context. I try to pay attention to top notes when I play changes - the highest note - so the 'inside' chord becomes more convenient when I'm moving up the neck, and the 'outside' chord when I'm moving up. If I'm playing rock, though, I'll want the full five string sound and I'll use the barre... and if I'm doing something jazzier where I'll be going to a suspended fourth (Mediterranean Sundance comes to mind), I'll use the barre for the transition to this:

-x-
-8-
-7-
-7-
-5-
-x-

I'll use the barre there because shifting the pinky is pretty awkward... and I'll use picking hand control to avoid hitting the first string.

Keep working at it in every fingering you can - even though you might not yet be able to finger a chord the 'best' way for a song, you can always use the 'clean' fingering for performing while the 'best' fingering is still under development :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Hey James, I wouldn't worry too much about your Taylor - I have a 310 (lefty) myself and went through the same transitional period of figuring out the nuances of my new baby. And I went from a converted right-handed Hondo, and even though I loved it, I know a bit about crappy gits...Think of it as driving a Yugo and then inheriting a porsche...takes time to adjust to the new power...

As far as the B goes, I barre the 1st fret with 1 and then hit the restof the chord with my ring finger...tough at first, but definitely doable..

:)

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@stjames1759)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your advice and experience. This site really is awesome, from the beginning guitarists perspective.

Also, my name is Brett. :D St. James is my tribute to Guinness Draught. St. James Gate, Est. 1759. :) Love that stuff.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Guinness Draught. St. James Gate, Est. 1759. :) Love that stuff.

Me to :!:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@stjames1759)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I guess it would help if I was playing the chord correctly also. I've been trying to barre the entire second fret, when I just noticed it isn't supposed to be played.

What is the correct voicing for B? This is what I'm using right now, please correct me if I wrong.

-2-
-4-
-4-
-4-
-2-
-x-

If it is, thats significantly easier than what I was trying to play earlier.

I can almost play the 2-3-4, but the ring finger barre isn't working for me. I'm not muting the high e, I'm actually buzzing the G. Can't seem to get my finger that flat.

ReplyQuote
(@stjames1759)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Everyone, again, thanks for your help. I've adjusted the way I hold the guitar, figured out exactly how the chord is actually supposed to be played :oops: , and just played my first B chord clearly!

I stopped trying to barre all 5 strings on the second fret and sort of arched my index finger a little so I would catch the 5th and 1st string. That allowed my ring finger to press 4-2 cleanly.

Is this a wise approach or will it lead to bad habits? Either way it felt pretty good.

ReplyQuote