Badge

22 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm working on learning this song (I know, everyone from the Hear Here forum is going "****") and I was wondering what effect does clapton use for the Chorus part? The cool picking part...

Thanks much.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

kinda sounds like hes using the chorus effect or flange at some level, but im probably wrong. Try it out though

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I know Clapton and Harrison cowrote the song, but I don't know if it's George playing that middle part. It's the part that sounds sorta...well, 'Beatle-ish' like in Here Comes the Sun. You could try it on a flanger, but I think originally, regardless of who played the track, it was played through a Leslie speaker system if I remember correctly. Rotating speaker type sound. So if you have a POD or V-Amp, you might try the rotating speaker model and play around with the speed setting a little.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have a fender Hot Rod deluxe...I don't really know anything about the rotating speaker thing... I had just assumed it was a Chorus or flange or maybe something that adds octaves or something... I've seen him do it live and he still gets a cool sound... Could it be anything else other than the rotating speaker mabober? (If its any pedal I'll have to buy it, because I only have the Wah as of now)

Thanks again for the responces.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

You could try this if you want. Go to your local music store and try the Marshall DFX amp and see if it is flange or chorus. If it is one of those, them you could buy a flange pedal for example.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah that'd be my next option. I figured someone on here would know exactly what he did and I wouldn't have to make the trip. I get my license in 7 days though, so I won't mind then ;)

But if anyone DOES know, don't be shy now. Haha, kidding, but you know what I mean.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Fender strat-> Dunlap Crybaby-> Demeter Tremulator-> A/B/y box->
A= 58 Fender Twin(twead) with Mojotone and Eminence speakers,
B= Marshall JCM800 model 2203 100watt head connected to a Leslie cabinet.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

But you can get close with a good chorus effect.

And, yes, George played rhythm on the Cream recording, under the moniker "Angelo Mysterioso." It's also very close to the arpeggios Harrison used on Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy".

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

DemoEtc had it. It was a Leslie.

But as others said, you can get close with a Chorus pedal if you crank depth and speed up. You can sort of get the sound with a Tremelo pedal as well.

That has always been one of my favorite songs, and I too love that Leslie sound EC used on the chorus. Awesome solo too!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

But you can get close with a good chorus effect.

And, yes, George played rhythm on the Cream recording, under the moniker "Angelo Mysterioso." It's also very close to the arpeggios Harrison used on Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy".

Yah, that slow arpeggio thing became one of his trademark sounds almost. It had George written all over it. Of course one of his other trademarks was his slide style - quite different than what was going on at the time - even now to a certain extent. The 'harmonized slide' is part of what gave it the Harrison flavor. The Bad Finger guys copped it pretty well too. :)
But as others said, you can get close with a Chorus pedal if you crank depth and speed up. You can sort of get the sound with a Tremelo pedal as well.
Yes, I think the chorus pedal was originally designed to cop that sound. The flanger was more for that 'pressing your finger to the edge of the tape reel to slow it down' studio effect. A tremolo might get close too.

...Awesome solo too!

To me at least, that's one of THE classic guitar solos of the period - maybe even of all time. Rich, incredible, controlled tone, perfect intonation, and a really, really melodic concept behind it - not just blazing like some of the others he did. I wonder what the guys in the control room were thinking when they heard that coming through the monitors as he was playing it. If more guys could play like that nowadays, I think we'd be onto something.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

No one played slide like george :D He was a great giutar player--R.I.P. :cry:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You are right smokindog. George Harrison just never got the credit he deserved. As you said, he was awesome on slide guitar. I don't think anyone has a more recognizable style on slide than George, but you never hear about it. His style was just plain sweet.

Eric Clapton is maybe the only player who does play slide similar to George. I believe he learned slide from George. GH did not use open tunings that I am aware of.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

He used open tunings once or twice. He talked about using open A on "Woman Don't You Cry for Me." I read a good description somewhere of what makes George's slide style different from other slide players -- he adapted the slide to the Indian raga style he'd learned playing sitar. He came to slide through the sitar instead of through the Mississippi Delta Blues tradition.

And, yes, George doesn't get near the credit he deserves. But Clapton certainly respected him as a guitarist and friend.

George, we miss you!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

George also had a great love for the ukelele (is that right?). I heard that he actually liked composing for it alot

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I looked up the demeter tremulator and they are around 200 bucks or so...

How much is a good chorus pedal. I know nothing about pedals, so what ARE some good ones anyways, so I can take a look at guitar center.

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2