Clear all

Bar Chords, Hotel California and Marguritaville

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What key is best suited for Hotel California? I like to play it in Am but I read it can be played in Bm and in Em. Bm is kinda bright and cheery for that song IMO. I like Am because its meloncholy and dramatic and sad, just like what the song sounds like. However my guitar is strung with super lites so my strings are not heavy and its got low action.

Marguritaville, I've played it over and over and I still can't not relate the front D chord to the song. When I listen, I hear almost another chord withen the D. The D over and over sounds repetitive and deadtone. I strump down up down down. To me it sounds as if some strings are skipped and or like I said, another chord change. But everything I've seen shows D in the opening and D exclusively. Does anyone else play it with D in the front?

And lastly, bar chords are scarry on my acoustic. I can play them better on my electric, how do I get a grip on them with my acoustic. A video on youtube says place our fingers first then your pinch fingers last. I can not pinch enough to get a clear note.
What kind of practice should I use on bar chords for my acoustic

Thanks

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

1 - The original is in Bm. To be honest I can't tell any difference in mood whether I do it in Bm or Am - same chords, just two frets higher. I prefer Bm, personally - I like to play along with the radio and CDs!

2 - There's a lesson on "Margaritaville" here.... https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/margaritaville/ which may help. Not familiar with the song myself - hey, I'm English, I'd never even heard of Jimmy Buffet until a few years ago.

3 - Acoustic guitars generally have a higher action than electrics, so if you play mainly electric, you will notice a difference when you come to play barre chords on an acoustic. You've almost answered your own question with one word - practise. It's just a case of building up strength and muscle memory. Barre chords will seem a lot harder at first on acoustics - but given time, and practise, you'll wonder why you were worried. The upside is, once you've got them down on acoustic, they'll seem SO easy on electric!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote