Clear all

beck signature guitar

18 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I almost ordered a Jeff Beck signature strat,not hard to tell why,anyone played one?,I backed off because they wanted 1,700.00 canuck cash.I haven't found one in Ontario to try but it's a hero thing.Geez maybe i'l just buy a freeway classic and de-gas!

GG

(@prndl)
Reputable Member

It's really difficult to tell if Signature guitars are actually worth the high price.

How can you tell if it's the right guitar for you without actually playing it?
Suppose it has a C neck shape you really like the D or V neck ?
What if it's a lower quality one and you can't really tell without comparison?
Is it really that much better than the Deluxe?

Then again, I tend to be on the caution side of these things.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I may be wrong, but I think the only thing of any significance, in the Jeff Beck signature Strat is the set of pickups - they're a hot version of the noiseless pickups. It sports an LSR roller nut, which, like the pickups, could be retro-fitted to any strat.
The only thing that would be difficult to retro-fit is the contoured heel.
Other than that it's pretty much a stock Strat.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So if thats the case Greybeard which strat would be close to the same at a miore reasonable price or is it just going to be a comfort thing?I was wondering really what off the wall strat would have decent pickups and wiring etc.I never seem to have enough time to try alot of guitars out,I have an Epi Les Paul and a Squire Tele which are very nice low end guitars.

GG

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

It's very close to a standard Americsan in spec, so you might want to try out a few and just change pickups and add the LSR nut.

Though $1700 less than Long & Mcquade quoted me for a Knopfler sig a year ago. Don't think I'd actually buy one unless I knew I could get Knopfler to sign it. Even then I'd have to think about as there are better options. :?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think that the US Strat is as close as you're going to get. You're not going to get the contoured heel, but 99.9999999% of all Strat players do without.
As I said, you'd need to buy some hot noiseless pickups ($120), but you could recoup some of the outlay by selling the standard pickups (say $50). You'd need an LSR roller nut ($25 + fitting). The Jeff Beck has a tweed case as against the standard ABS case of the US. The US Strat is $985 for the Sunburst, so you could probably get a close approximation of the JB Strat for around 1150 US, I reckon.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for your time and info guys,off today so i guess i'll be trying a few standards,there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in pricing even with the exchange rate.

GG

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well you never know until you find out.I was up at L&M and played two American Standards then one of the guys hung up a Clapton signature so I grabbed it,I ran it through the Marshall I was already playing through and even with the set up a little high I liked it.I asked him a few questions,he told me they replaced one dead pup(middle) and that the case came with it,I begged a stand and Schaller lockers and I got it for 1,000.47 with tax.I'm quite happy that I keep going back to different shops and being a pain in the butt.I'll try to post pics shortly but I must say thank you to you guys again for your time.I'm not overly suprised with the tone but my (small g)god it plays like a dream.

GG

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Congrats :D
How come I never get that lucky?!?

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I work alot of 12 hour shifts so I get more days off but the bargains are there,Primeta I'm thinking you're in Toronto,if so you can borrow it at any time for any reason,It's spotless by the way.I'll even drop it off to you on a day off,It's meant to be played not sit while I'm working.You might have to lower the setup a bit but I'm not ready to change it myself yet.

GG

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

GG

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

and I'm a grandpa in november to boot!!!

GG

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Careful, I might take you up on that offer after my uncle goes back to Austen. :D It looks beautiful and congrats onthe granchild. :D :D

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@sito71)
Estimable Member

I eagerly and whole heartedly would recommend the american deluxe...play a few until you find the right one...but unless i got extraordinarily luckly, i believe there is a reason why they are the highest end production line strat...even completely forgetting the "S1 switching", the guitar as a basic strat is amazing...i played the old noiselss pups and i think these "samarium cobalt noiselss" stand head and shoulders above the old....i would definately try a few before going up the significant bucks to a signature series...if you want a high end strat...this is the one i.m.o.!
[/img]

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Beck sounds happy with his Clapton sig, which I'd really like to try. But my trouble with the American delux is, I'd have to ask someone to change the neck. It's just too big to be a workhorse strat for my small hands.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2