Clear all

Best Fake/Real book for jazz Standards?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know which is good - worth buying? I have found some stuff online but would be nice to have it in a book, Would be especially convenient if it was ring bound though that's not essential.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have The Real Book, the first volume for C instruments. Lots and lots of standards. At the moment I've only worked on a half dozen or so (I love to find different voices for each chord). You can read the first pages in Amazon, which include the table of contents with the list of songs and some standards.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The Real Book is pretty much standard for jazz gigs. Most bandleaders I've worked with have specified it; most use vol. 1 (I usually bring vols. 1-3 just in case). There's also the Hal Leonard Ultimate Jazz Fake Book, which has more tunes but smaller type - I use that sometimes in lessons.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Is any edition of the real book good? I saw the 6th edition on amazon of vol1.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't remember the edition and I don't have the book with me now. I bought it some years ago in a currently closed music library and instrument store. They had very good deals on old books and some instruments. My copy has several broken sheets and out of the "plastic rings" (sorry, I don't know the English word for it), I guess it is the typical book that was in the store for years and everybody browsed or copied its songs. Perhaps it is the 5th edition.

According to Amazon it seems there are different songs. If you are not looking for a particular song, I guess the edition is not important. Perhaps there are different arrangements in some songs but this is jazz...

While you decide for a edition, this site could help: http://www.learnjazzstandards.com/

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ordered the real book (sixth edition) there is a lot out there online..... I would just rather have it in a book though. Seems still a good deal - a lot of songs! It will open me up to so many I haven't heard - just keep using spotify and youtube to hear them. I might be back when I have got it with some questions on random symbols if I can't find them online :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@bobafifi)

In case you're still interested, Sher Music has "The Standards Real Book," "The New Real Books (Vols 1-3)" as well as the new "Digital Standards Songbook" to choose from.
http://www.shermusic.com/

ReplyQuote