Notifications
Clear all

Birthday surprise

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

I reached the grand old age of 45 today, and my girlfriend bought me a mandolin.

ok so far, and there were a couple of books to work through , too; but have any of you come across any good mandolin resources on the net? I have enough songbooks - you would not believe how wierd Time Of Your Life sounds, and Basket Case had us in fits of laughter - so I'm after technical pointers more than anything else.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

(@rush2112)
Trusted Member

Try this: http://mandolincafe.com/lessons.html
good luck, I've had a mandolin for a while, never could get the hang of it

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Cool -- IRRC Battle of Evermore is good mandolin tune. Can you sing like Robert Plant?

Enjoy!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Jay Buckey has some finger exercises if you sroll down the page,

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Soooooooo - if we ever do get a Brit GN seminar together, we have to add "Maggie May" to the set list.....

Good luck with it Alan,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I once had a love affair with mandolin. But she was to needy and would have taken up all of money. However, I did get a site for my cousin around Christmas time. Its pretty good, happy birthday, and good luck.

http://home.inreach.com/jsherida/katie/mandolin.html

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

Cool -- IRRC Battle of Evermore is good mandolin tune. Can you sing like Robert Plant?

Enjoy!

ROTFLMAO - there have been times when I've been asked to not sing

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I've always thought that it is a cruel joke that many guitar players are drawn to the mandolin. I mean, it's sorta similar, except the 5 frets to 7 frets thing. It must be maddening trying to learn! Good luck with it, though. They do sound great!

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Tune it like a guitar, problem solved :D

Happy 45th!
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another one for the GN Brit seminar...."I Wish I Was Your Mother"....by Mott The Hoople......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

Mott The Hoople - now, they were good. I found out about them at the time of Honaloochie Boogie. And there was that backing singer with the **huge** threepennys on the TOTP footage of Roll Away The Stone who went by the name of Thunderthighs. Ah, brings back memories.

We'd have to include Losing My Religion, too, I guess.

Talking of the GN Brit Seminar, I had an exchange of messages with Pet and others last year and there was definite interest. David was even thinking of coming over. We ought to re-kickstart the idea.

Best,

ReplyQuote
(@windowwasher88)

Have you ever heard the song "For You" by Barenaked Ladies? It's a good mandolin song, a little country.

"I look straight in the mirror and watch it come clearer. I look like a painter behin all the grease. But painting's creating, and I'm just erasing. A crystal clear canvas is my masterpiece." - When I Fall, Barenaked Ladies

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A british seminar would be brilliant.....lot of new Brit members joined since last year.....

And isn't David over here for his friend's wedding soon? Maybe we should just kidnap him.....

Oh yeah....and guess who's going to see Ian Hunter in Liverpool next week....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Belated birthday greetings, Oh, Green One.

Anyone going to see Neil Diamond in Mancunia? Thought not.

I am :? (Special treat for Mrs Greybeard, who saw him when she was just 16 and he waved to her and her friend).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yes, Happy Birthday!

You could always, as Matty said, tune in like the 4 top strings of the guitar. Tommy Tedesco used to do that; actually he tuned *all* his instruments like a guitar for the studio thing. I sorta like 5ths tuning though; I tune my uke that way sometimes.

Also, you could work out that mando part in Stonehenge by Spinal Tap.

Technical pointers? Maybe use Fender 358s. Mando playing can sure get your tremolo picking together though.

Take care :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2