Clear all

Blues you can use- any good?

31 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Question, is this book for beginners? Or, is it chock full of stuff I could still learn after 3 years of playing serious. I've been looking for it all over at local stores and find nothing. I wanted to page through it before spening the cash. I see that wont be happening.

Just wondering your opinions.

Thanks guys,

Pat

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Here's a 6 page thread full of discussion about this very book.

Lots of people have it, and seem to like it.
I just got a copy, and so far, I'm impressed.

For what it's worth, I've been learning on my own for about a year (though, I practice about 1/4 as much as I should).

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Question, is this book for beginners?

It is not for absolute beginners, imho. I'd say it's for "advanced beginners" if that means anything. Knowledge of basic open and barre chords, and familiarity with the major and minor scales will help a bit.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I have it it, it is good.

However, it is definitely not for a complete beginner. If you know the basic open chords, maybe have some notion of scales etc, then it can work for you. It is not an easy book; you need to really work at it.

For example, by the second or third excercise, you are doing full note bends at the 5th position, and playing pickup notes. If you have no idea yet how to do a bend, for example, then the book might be a little challenging.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

I got it two months into playing guitar found it very useful, been playing months now :>

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

The hardest thing for a beginner, even if not an absolute beginner, is going to be the barre chords. These are used in lesson 2 and on. You really need to be comfortable with those (the E and A forms at least) before starting the book with enough hand strength to play them for a while.

Oh yeah, there's also a website with a discussion board for this book and others by the same author - http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for the replies, I think I'll look for a more advanced book. Bends, barre chords, etc. are fairly natural for me now.

Thanks again.

Pat

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

The posters here are giving you tips about some possible difficult parts for beginners..anyway this book is for intermediate up to advanced...and it consists of two books, not only one.
Definitely check it out.

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member

Wow, I might get all 5 of his books.

I've been playing around with the pentatonic and blues scales over the backing tracks that came from http://www.gckingoftheblues.com/static_content/view/backing_tracks.html (I incidentally found it just a few days before seeing the link here. Thank god for google? lol) But I'd like to have a more complete understanding of it all.

Read around the other thread, and it seems to me that it really is a good book, so I'm gonna give it a shot I think.

Here's the last book I bought and I didn't find it very useful. http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Soloing-Contemporary-Guide-Improvisation/dp/0793581869

It seemed to just throw a bunch of stuff at you without really explaining much of it.
Maybe it was just me.
The jam-a-long cd was less than enjoyable as well.

Anyone else seen, or used this book? How did you benefit from it?

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

This book was a gift that has opened my eyes to a bunch of fun on the guitar.

Even helped me get through a segment in On Line Jams I was having stump moment with.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

good to see so many great recommendations here, and in the longer thread in the link.

I ordered it from the local music shop last week and got the call a short while ago that it was in. I said that I'd probably drop by tomorrow sometime...

....but that idea lasted all of five seconds, and here I am back with it in my hot little hands.

The goods news is that I just flew through the first 8 pages! :) I've just reached page 9 though. Which is the first one where you actually have to play something. So I'm taking a short break.

So far there's one big question that it doesn't answer. Something that's been bugging me for weeks. :(

So if you know the answer maybe you can help me out. Just how do you pronounce 'Ganapes'? I'm sure I'll want to recommend it too, and I can't keep calling him 'Can O' Peas' or 'Gurnarpees'. Anybody got a TAB of his name, or an mp3??

This being Guitanoise, somewill will now now say "Easy - it's pronounced Ganapes". But you never know, somebody might know. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Hi,

So far there's one big question that it doesn't answer. Something that's been bugging me for weeks. :(

So if you know the answer maybe you can help me out. Just how do you pronounce 'Ganapes'? I'm sure I'll want to recommend it too, and I can't keep calling him 'Can O' Peas' or 'Gurnarpees'. Anybody got a TAB of his name, or an mp3??

This being Guitanoise, somewill will now now say "Easy - it's pronounced Ganapes". But you never know, somebody might know. :)

Cheers,

Chris

I had the same question. It is pronounced guh-NOP-ess

Now someone will come along and correct me. :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I had the same question. It is pronounced guh-NOP-ess

Now someone will come along and correct me. :lol:

Margaret

Thank you Margaret! :D :D

I made a start and had a bit of fun with the first piece to play too. :) I'm not used to swapping between a solo and chord style so it took me a couple of runs through to realise that it's not actually compulsory to take all your fingers off and wave them about - you can actually leave some on the fretboard ready for the chord shape....DOH! :oops:

The main thing for me to work on will be to learn to play it accurately, cleanly and in time - the way he wants it, rather than to keep breaking off and improvising, which is a cop out even though it's fun and sounds OK.

Looks like a great book so far, and one that I should learn a lot from just as long as I stick to what I'm supposed to be playing... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Chris enjoy the book! It seems pretty good .. I am upto the fourth solo, but going has gotten slower :-) At least for me, the trick about this book is that the notes are pretty easy to play, but the timing is not trivial.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris enjoy the book! It seems pretty good .. I am upto the fourth solo, but going has gotten slower :-) At least for me, the trick about this book is that the notes are pretty easy to play, but the timing is not trivial.

Thanks mate. :) Sounds likes you're going well. I'm going to try and take this book nice and easy and get it right instead of hopping through and being satisfied with half done renditions.

As you say, getting the timing right is a really important issue. I'm often bad at sticking with the discipline of playing something until I've really nailed it the way it should be done. Too often I'll muck about with my own versions, or move onto something else after getting something only half right. This book deserves better.

I was just squinting at your avatar to see if I could see what you're playing. It look like a better quality 'brother' to the cheapie I'm using at the moment. I bought it because I wanted something cheap I could throw in the car and not be fussy about - but I'm really enjoying playing it, and it's a lot better than I thought it would be for the money. :)

Cheers

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3